Positions for Postdocs and Ph.D. Students

Andreas Schreyer Andreas.Schreyer at gkss.de
Sun Dec 2 11:29:26 CST 2001

GKSS, with a staff of approximately 750 employees at its sites in
Geesthacht near Hamburg and Teltow near Berlin, is one of the 15
national research centres of the Helmholtz Foundation of German
Research Centres. It is our task to open up strategic fields for the
future in the fields of materials research, membrane technology and
environmental research.

In Geesthacht near Hamburg GKSS operates a medium flux neutron source with
modern instrumentation for elastic neutron scattering. This includes
reflectometers, diffractometers, and small angle scattering machines which
are used for applied research on the development of new materials. Our
work mainly focuses on magnetic and non-magnetic layered structures for
new technologies and on the investigation of residual strains, textures,
precipitates and pores for the optimization of engineering materials and
parts.
Complementary to our neutron source we employ synchrotron radiation for
our research at the neighboring DESY laboratory in Hamburg.
An important part of our commitment is to assist external visitors in the
use of our facilities.
As a scientific reinforcement of our team we are looking for several

Postdoctoral Scientists          Code-No. W 15
for an inital 3 years period
who are experienced in at least one of the scattering techniques or
research topics listed above and who are interested in the complementary
use of neutron- and x-ray scattering techniques applied to materials
research. We expect a Ph.D. in a field relevant to one of the research
areas listed above (e.g. Physics, Materials Science, Crystallography), as
well as creativity, communicational and organizational skills.
In addition we are looking for

PH. D. students      Code-No. W 16
for an initial 2 years period

who are interested to work in one of the topics listed above in the
interdisciplinary and international atmosphere of a large research
facility.

For inquiries please contact Andreas Schreyer (schreyer at gkss.de).

We offer an appropriate salary, related to BAT as well as the usual public
sector social benefits.

In order to increase the number of female employees we ask interested and
qualified women to apply for the job.

Handicapped persons with equal qualifications will be preferred.

Please send your application (with reference to code-no. W 15 resp. W 16)
including CV and references to the Personnel Department of the GKSS
Research Centre. The closing date for applications is two weeks after
publication of this advertisement.

GKSS-Forschungszentrum Geesthacht GmbH - Personnel Department -,
Max Planck-Strasse, 21502 Geesthacht, Germany