Faculty Position in Neutron Scattering

Miceli, Paul micelip at missouri.edu
Tue Jan 8 15:11:34 CST 2002

Dear Colleagues:
We have an open faculty position and I would be grateful if you can share
this announcement (see below or the .pdf attachment) with your colleagues
or those who might be interested.
Thank you,
Paul.
_______________________________
Paul F. Miceli
Department of Physics and Astronomy
University of Missouri-Columbia
223 Physics Building
Columbia, MO 65211

Ph:  573-882-8328
Fax: 573-882-4195
micelip at missouri.edu

*

     FACULTY POSITION IN NEUTRON SCATTERING

The Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of
Missouri-Columbia (MU), in collaboration with the Missouri University
Research Reactor (MURR), seeks an outstanding candidate for a tenure-track
faculty position in the general area of experimental materials research
using neutron and x-ray scattering starting September 1, 2002.  Two other
faculty positions in this area are planned within the next two years as part
of a program to expand neutron scattering research at MURR.

We anticipate hiring at the level of assistant professor, but exceptionally
qualified candidates will be considered for a higher rank.  A Ph.D. and
postdoctoral experience are required.  The successful candidate is expected
to establish an externally funded research program that utilizes on-campus
facilities at MURR as well as national and international laboratory
facilities.  The candidate is also expected to teach effectively and
creatively at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.

The department's experimental programs in materials research/condensed
matter physics include:  magnetism, superconductivity, surfaces/film growth,
soft matter, optical sciences and biological physics.  The department is
currently expanding its biological physics program as part of a campus
initiative in the life sciences.  MURR is a 10 MW research reactor located
on the MU campus that is the highest neutron-flux university reactor in the
U. S.   It has a suite of neutron scattering instruments that include
double- and triple-axis spectrometers, a spin-polarized neutron
reflectometer, a high-resolution powder diffractometer, and a residual
stress diffractometer.  The Department is an active member of the MUCAT
collaboration at the Advanced Photon Source and there is an x-ray laboratory
with two rotating anode generators located in the department.  More
information about our department and MURR is available at
http://www.missouri.edu/~physwww/physics.html.

Candidates should submit a curriculum vitae, statement of research plans,
description of teaching interests and experience, and arrange for three
letters of recommendation to reach the Neutron Scattering Search Committee,
Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO
65211.  Tel: (573) 882-3335; Fax: (573) 882-4195; e-mail:
Sherry at missouri.edu.  Applications should be received by March 15, 2002, to
ensure full consideration.  The University of Missouri is an equal
opportunity/affirmative action employer.  Women and minorities are
encouraged to apply. To request ADA accommodations, please contact our ADA
Coordinator at (573) 884-7278, V/TTY at missouri.edu.