[Neutron] Postdocs at the University of Michigan

Aronson, Meigan maronson at umich.edu
Sun Dec 5 15:09:17 CST 2004

 Two postdoc positions are available immediately in the research group
of Professor  Meigan Aronson in the Physics Department of the University
of Michigan in Ann Arbor,  MI (USA).

One project involves the synthesis and determination of the fundamental
magnetic  properties of nanoparticle dispersions and low dimensional
assemblies. The second  project focusses on the study of magnetism and
superconductivity in novel  intermetallic compounds, especially the
generation of quantum critical points. Both  projects make extensive use
of neutron scattering techniques, especially inelastic and  small angle
scattering techniques. Our work has a strong synthetic component,
involving the synthesis of intermetallic compounds by flux growth and
other  techniques, and magnetic nanoparticle systems by chemical routes.
Our laboratory at  the University of Michigan is equipped to perform a
variety of fundamental  measurements such as magnetization, heat
capacity, and electrical transport, which are  complementary to our
neutron scattering investigations.

More information about our group's activities may be found at our
website:

http://www.physics.lsa.umich.edu/aronsonlab/

Requirements:
Candidates must have completed their PhD in experimental condensed
matter physics or  related field, preferably related to magnetic
materials. Neutron scattering experience  optimal,electron microscopy or
AFM skills preferred. Experience with low temperature  measurement
techniques is useful, especially magnetization, heat capacity,
electrical  transport. Experience with high pressure measurement
techniques a plus.

Interested candidates are invited to send their CV and a list of at
least three references to

Professor Meigan Aronson
Department of Physics
University of Michigan