[Neutron] Job Posting

Black-Kurdziolek, Barbara A baablack at indiana.edu
Tue Jun 19 10:21:43 CDT 2007

Please post the following ad for a postdoctoral appointee for Indiana
University Cyclotron Facility on your listserv:

A postdoctoral position in the development and application of polarized
3He neutron spin filters for both neutron scattering and fundamental
neutron

physics is currently available. The successful candidate will be
employed by Indiana University and based at the National Institute of
Standards and

Technology (NIST) in Gaithersburg, Maryland. Neutron spin filters based
on optically pumped 3He are becoming of significant interest for
polarized neutron instruments and have particular relevance to the
upcoming Spallation Neutron Source (SNS).  Leading this effort in the
U.S., our collaboration includes Indiana University, NIST, Hamilton
College and the Univ. of Wisconsin. We collaborate with researchers at
the SNS, the Intense Pulsed Neutron Source(IPNS) at Argonne National
Laboratory, the Low Energy Neutron Source

(LENS), the Los Alamos Neutron Science Center (LANSCE), and Brookhaven
National Lab, and we have ties to neutron facilities overseas.   Our
program spans the range from basic studies of the optical pumping of 3He
to applications.  Neutron scattering applications include a wide range
of polarized neutron instruments.  In fundamental neutron physics, we
are involved in parity violation, neutron interferometry, and neutron
decay experiments that require polarized neutrons.  Given the
interdisciplinary nature of this endeavor,

we are open to candidates with backgrounds in atomic, optical, nuclear,
or condensed matter physics.  Further information can be obtained by
contacting Tom Gentile at thomas.gentile at nist.gov or 301-975-5431, or
Mike

Snow at snow at iucf.indiana.edu or 812-855-7914. Interested applicants
should send a curriculum vita and a statement of research interests and
arrange for three letters of recommendation to be sent to: Ms. Barbara

Black-Kurdziolek, IUCF, 2401 Milo B. Sampson Lane, Bloomington IN,
47408, or to jobs at iucf.indiana.edu. Indiana University is an Affirmative

Action, Equal Opportunity Employer committed to excellence through
diversity.  The University actively encourages applications of women,
minorities, and persons with disabilities.

Thanks,

Barbara

Barbara Black-Kurdziolek

Indiana University Cyclotron Facility

Human Resources Manager

2401 Milo B. Sampson Lane

Bloomington, IN 47408

812-855-3316 Fax: 812-855-1313

baablack at indiana.edu

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email message, including all attachments,
is for the sole use of the intended recipients and may contain
confidential and privileged information.  If you are not the intended
recipient you may NOT use, disclose, copy, or disseminate this
information.  Please contact the sender by reply email immediately and
destroy all copies of the original message including all attachments.
Even if you are an intended recipient of this email, the author requests
that you not forward it to any other person without prior consent.  Your
cooperation is greatly appreciated