[Neutron] OPAL reactor returns to full power [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

BUTTNER, Herma hbu at ansto.gov.au
Sat May 24 00:09:22 CEST 2008

Hello,

We are pleased to announce that the OPAL reactor came back to full power
(20MW) today, and that the shutters on all seven instruments were opened
for radiation survey. The cold-neutron source continues to run well.

With the return to OPAL operations, commissioning of the seven initial
instruments has resumed:  ECHIDNA (high-resolution powder
diffractometer), WOMBAT (high-intensity powder diffractometer), KOWARI
(strain scanner), KOALA (quasi-Laue diffractometer), PLATYPUS
(reflectometer), QUOKKA (small-angle neutron scattering instrument),
TAIPAN (thermal three-axis spectrometer).

For each instrument, we still need (a) operating licences from our
nuclear regulator, ARPANSA, and (b) a published schedule from Reactor
Operations at ANSTO, before we can invite users for experiments.
Requests for operating licences on the powder diffractometers (ECHIDNA
and WOMBAT) will be submitted within the next month, with the other
submissions to follow, depending on our progress with commissioning.

During the last ten months of the OPAL shutdown, we have successfully
tested most of the new sample-environment apparatus on the
diffractometers.

Regards,

               Herma

Dr. Herma Buttner

Scientific Coordinator Bragg Institute

Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation

PMB 1, Menai, NSW 2234, Australia

T  +61 (0)2 9717 7232

F +61  (0)2 9717 3606

M +61 (0)448 445 606

E  herma.buttner at ansto.gov.au

www.ansto.gov.au <http://www.ansto.gov.au/>

Important: This transmission is intended only for the use of the
addressee. It is confidential and may contain privileged information or
copyright material. If you are not the intended recipient, any use or
further disclosure of this communication is strictly forbidden. If you
have received this transmission in error, please notify me immediately
by telephone and delete all copies of this transmission as well as any
attachments.