[Neutron] FW: Proposa-call OPAL neutron-beam facility - deadline 15 October 2008 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

BUTTNER, Herma hbu at ansto.gov.au
Wed Sep 10 08:38:18 CEST 2008

Dear Colleague,

The Bragg Institute calls for proposals for the following neutron-beam
instruments:

ECHIDNA (high-resolution powder diffractometer)

WOMBAT  (high-intensity powder diffractometer)

KOALA (Laue diffractometer)

KOWARI  (strain scanner)

PLATYPUS (reflectometer).

Proposals should be submitted using our on-line system (choose round
October 2008) http://rainbow.nbi.ansto.gov.au/Bragg/proposal/index.jsp.
Deadline will be 15 October 2008.

The application is for beam-time requests and does not automatically
include travel or accommodation support. However, successful
applications from researchers from AINSE member institutions (
http://www.ansto.gov.au/ainse/about_ainse/member_universities.html) will
automatically be forwarded to AINSE for consideration of
travel/accommodation support.

15 Oct. 2008                 Deadline for proposals.

Oct./Nov. 2008              On-line review of proposals by up to 5
expert reviewers.

10-11 Dec. 2008            Programme Advisory Committee assesses
proposals.

Jan. 2009                      Scheduling of first beam-time allocations
- subject to reactor operation schedule. Initial scheduling will likely
be fairly "loose", with ~50% of the beam time made available for the
formal user programme.

Status of instruments 10 September 2008

Instrument

Licence status

Commissioning status

ECHIDNA

(high-resolution powder diffractometer)

www.ansto.gov.au/research/bragg_institute/facilities/instruments/echidna
.html
<file:///D:\Bragg%20Peaks\www.ansto.gov.au\research\bragg_institute\faci
lities\instruments\echidna.html>

ARPANSA licence received

friendly-user experiments started

www.ansto.gov.au/research/bragg_institute/facilities/instruments/wombat.
html
<file:///D:\Bragg%20Peaks\www.ansto.gov.au\research\bragg_institute\faci
lities\instruments\wombat.html>

ARPANSA licence received

friendly-user experiments started

KOALA

(Laue diffractometer)

www.ansto.gov.au/research/bragg_institute/facilities/instruments/koala.h
tml
<file:///D:\Bragg%20Peaks\www.ansto.gov.au\research\bragg_institute\faci
lities\instruments\koala.html>

ARPANSA licence received

Commissioning

KOWARI

(strain scanner)

www.ansto.gov.au/research/bragg_institute/facilities/instruments/kowari.
html
<file:///D:\Bragg%20Peaks\www.ansto.gov.au\research\bragg_institute\faci
lities\instruments\kowari.html>

ARPANSA licence received

Commissioning

PLATYPUS (reflectometer)

www.ansto.gov.au/research/bragg_institute/facilities/instruments/platypu
s.html
<file:///D:\Bragg%20Peaks\www.ansto.gov.au\research\bragg_institute\faci
lities\instruments\platypus.html>

Submission for ARPANSA licence in preparation

Hot commissioning; experiments on free liquids, or using
polarised-neutron beams, will not yet be available in this proposal
round. If your neutron experiment needs complementing with X-rays please
request the X-ray reflectometer as part of your neutron proposal.

QUOKKA

(small-angle neutron scattering instrument)
www.ansto.gov.au/research/bragg_institute/facilities/instruments/quokka.
html
<file:///D:\Bragg%20Peaks\www.ansto.gov.au\research\bragg_institute\faci
lities\instruments\quokka.html>

Submission for ARPANSA licence in preparation

Hot commissioning; while QUOKKA  has taken its first pattern the data
are not yet fully analysed. We anticipate a joint proposal call for
QUOKKA and the National Deuteration Facility at the end of this year or
the beginning of next year.

TAIPAN

(thermal three-axis spectrometer)

http://www.ansto.gov.au/research/bragg_institute/facilities/instruments/
taipan.html

Hot commissioning starts in October 2008

An overview of our sample-environment equipment is available on the web
under
www.ansto.gov.au/research/bragg_institute/facilities/sample_enviros/list
_of_sample_environment.html

After the commissioning phase all instruments will have friendly user
experiments for 2-3 months before they will be officially scheduled.
Note that we have only limited time with the reactor running between now
and the beginning of next year; we will provide a more detailed update
on reactor and instruments in our next newsletter Bragg Peaks.

Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.

Yours sincerely,

Herma Buttner

Dr Herma Buttner

Scientific Coordinator Bragg Institute

Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation

PMB 1, Menai, NSW 2234, Australia

T  +61 (0)2 9717 7232

F +61  (0)2 9717 3606

M +61 (0)448 445 606

E  herma.buttner at ansto.gov.au

www.ansto.gov.au <http://www.ansto.gov.au/>

Important: This transmission is intended only for the use of the
addressee. It is confidential and may contain privileged information or
copyright material. If you are not the intended recipient, any use or
further disclosure of this communication is strictly forbidden. If you
have received this transmission in error, please notify me immediately
by telephone and delete all copies of this transmission as well as any
attachments.