[Neutron] Flipper2010 - First announcement

Garry McIntyre mcintyre at ill.fr
Wed Mar 11 13:45:52 CET 2009

Dear Colleague,

We would like to draw your attention to the International Workshop on
Single-Crystal Diffraction with Polarised Neutrons (Flipper2010),
which will be held in Grenoble, France, January 27 - 29, 2010.

Scope of the workshop

The enhanced contrast between the magnetic and nuclear signals in
polarised neutron diffraction was first demonstrated in the milestone
experiment by Shull, Nathans and colleagues in the late 1950s. The
following decades saw steady development of the flipping-ratio
technique by small groups of devoted experts who were interested
primarily in the experimental determination of magnetic form factors
and mapping out of spin density in metals and intermetallics. More
recently improvements in instrumentation and analysis techniques have
seen application of polarised-neutron diffraction to an increasingly
wider range of scientific questions from solution of difficult
antiferromagnetic structures, through exploration of spin density in
smart materials, such as giant-magnetoresistant oxides and
multiferroics, to magnetism in molecules. Chemists, materials
scientists and biologists have now joined with physicists to discover
the unique capabilities of polarised-neutron diffraction.

To continue to spread the interest in polarised-neutron diffraction
amongst the different scientific communities a three-day
International Workshop on Single-Crystal Diffraction with Polarised
Neutrons will be held at the ILL in Grenoble in January 2010. With
emphasis on scientific applications, exotic magnetism, and the
promise of new applications at both reactor and spallation sources,
this workshop aims to bridge the gap between the excellent
technique-oriented biennial PNCMI conferences and the broader
triennial Sagamore Conference on Spin, Charge and Momentum Density.
One session will be in honour of the long and fruitful career of
Francis Tasset.

For more information and regular updates, please visit our website:

http://www.ill.eu/news-events/workshops-events/flipper-2010

To ensure that you are on our mailing list for the second circular,
and to gauge interest in published proceedings, we would appreciate
pre-registration at your earliest convenience via the website.  We
would also greatly appreciate if you could spread this information
amongst colleagues and friends.

We hope to see you in Grenoble next January.

The Flipper2010 local organising committee

Anne Stunault, ILL
Garry McIntyre, ILL
Eric Ressouche, CEA
Brigitte Dubouloz, ILL (conference secretary)

Flipper2010
"International Workshop on Single-Crystal Diffraction with Polarised Neutrons"

27-29 January 2007
Grenoble, France.

Email: flipper at ill.eu

--
Garry J. McIntyre
ILL Senior Fellow, Institut Laue-Langevin

Mail address: Institut Laue-Langevin, B.P.156, 38042 Grenoble Cedex 9,France
Tel: 33/0 4.76.20.70.90;  Fax: 33/0 4.76.48.39.06;
email: mcintyre at ill.fr;  home page: http://www.ill.fr/dif/GarryMcIntyre.htm