[Neutron] First users at the ISIS Second Target Station

Bull, MJ (Martyn) martyn.bull at stfc.ac.uk
Thu May 28 12:43:18 CEST 2009

First users at the ISIS Second Target Station

Wednesday 27 May 2009

After five years of construction, the ISIS Second Target Station has opened its doors for the first scheduled experiment.

Professor Jeff Penfold, the Chief Scientist for the ISIS Second Target Station is leading the team from Oxford University and ISIS. The joint team will carry out the experiment on the Inter reflectometer. They expect the results to lead to significant advances in understanding the workings of everything from cell membranes to the practical chemistry of fabric conditioners.

 "We plan to explore for the first time how the layered structures formed by surfactants at a liquid surface dis-assemble in real time," said Professor Penfold. "When I first started using neutron scattering for these kind of chemistry studies in the early 1990s, experiments such as these would have been unimaginable. The new optimized instruments on the second target station now allow us to see in a minute what used to take a day. It's a real boost for studies in soft matter and biochemistry and will allow us to take a major step forward in our understanding."

Neutrons play a vital role in offering analysis techniques for research on subjects as varied as clean energy and the environment, pharmaceuticals and health care, through to nanotechnology, materials engineering and IT.

"This first experiment on one of our seven new instruments is a very important milestone in the project and a significant day for the global science community," said Dr Andrew Taylor, ISIS Director.

"The Second Target Station builds on the success and expertise we have developed over the past 20 years in the UK at ISIS and allows us to move further into the areas of soft matter, advanced materials and bioscience.  We will be carrying out fundamental research that will shape the technological advances of tomorrow."

Professor Keith Mason, Chief Executive of the STFC said:

"The start of research on the ISIS Second Target Station is a major day for UK science, and demonstrates the wisdom of long-term government investment in research. The ISIS team can be justifiably proud of their achievement in delivering this major new research facility on time and on budget. ISIS Second Target Station will play a major role in delivering on STFC's vision to maximise the benefits of our research for the UK and global communities''.

Neutron beams at ISIS can be used like "super x-rays" to study materials at the atomic level. Neutron scattering experiments allow the location of atoms and the forces between them to be measured. ISIS has been doing this since 1984 and has established itself as a world leader in the physical and life sciences.

The first experiment at the ISIS Second Target Station is the start of a £400k major new research programme funded by the EPSRC (Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council) awarded to Professor Jeffrey Penfold (ISIS, STFC) and Professor Bob Thomas (University of Oxford). The research will use neutron scattering techniques to reveal how multilayer structures at surfaces and interfaces can self-assemble. These structures are found in a wide range of applications in biology and technology including aspects of soft lubrication (hair and fabric conditioners) and bio-lubrication.

The Second Target Station Project serves an international community of over 2,000 scientists. It was made possible by a grant to the Science and Technology Facilities Council from The Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills through the Large Facilities Capital Fund.

--

Scanned by iCritical.