[Neutron] PSI: Postdoctoral Fellow in high-pressure condensed matter research

SINQ sinq at psi.ch
Mon May 3 07:53:13 CEST 2010

The Paul Scherrer Institute is with 1300 employees the largest research centre for the natural and engineering sciences in Switzerland and a worldwide leading user laboratory. Its research activities are concentrated on the three main topics of solid-state physics, energy and environmental research as well as human health.

For further strengthening both our activities in high-pressure neutron scattering and our collaboration with one of the leading university groups in high-pressure condensed-matter research in Switzerland we are looking for a

Postdoctoral Fellow in high-pressure condensed matter research

Your tasks
You will plan and perform research on correlated electron systems under high pressure using neutron scattering techniques at the PSI, and specific heat, magnetization and transport measurements in the Laboratory for Quantum Magnetism at EPFL. The PSI disposes of large-volume high-pressure devices for neutron scattering up to 100 kbar and temperatures down to 4 K. Within our existing high-pressure research program, you will participate in further developing our experimental techniques, tailoring existing procedures for research of magnetic and structural properties of quantum magnetis, multiferroics and unconventional superconductors. At PSI you will also support part of our user program. At EPFL you will perform complementary research on model quantum magnets and unconventional superconductors using specific heat, magnetization and transport methods. The current experimental capacities include specific heat to 30kbar, magnetization to 12kbar and transport beyond 100kbar.

Your profile
You hold a PhD in experimental physics or material science with an emphasis on the physics of correlated electron systems. You have at least 2 years of experience in the field of neutron or X-ray scattering techniques, you are familiar in working at large-scale facilities. You have experience with high-pressure techniques for the measurement of materials properties. You wish to deepen existing or acquire in-depth knowledge on large-volume high-pressure methods for your subsequent academic position. You enjoy tackling technical challenges independently and enjoy collaborative work between university and large-scale facility. You are an enthusiastic researcher and a good team player. You have good communication and writing skills in English.

For further information please contact: Dr Michel Kenzelmann, phone +41 56 310 53 81, michel.kenzelmann at psi.ch

Please submit your application to: Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources, Ref. code 3604, Thomas Erb, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland or to: thomas.erb at psi.ch