[Neutron] source of V or V/Nb spheres for calibration; do spherical V cans exist

mason mason at ill.fr
Fri Jan 18 18:25:10 CET 2013

Hi All
Two questions:
1. Does anyone know a supplier(s) for Vanadium spheres of diameter 2, 3,
4, 5 etc mm. Of course null mixture V/Nb would be even better, as we
wish to use the spheres to check the uniformity of some large position
detectors (used for single-crystal, fibre, etc diffration.
Any advice, comments references very welcome, I know atleast 2 labs have
used V spheres in the past.

2. Has anyone ever seen spherical V cans (wall thickness say 0.5 or
1mm), diameter in the range roughly 5 to 12 cms, strong enough to stand
vacuum ?
Because Al gives powder lines that severely interfere with weak
diffraction patterns, we no longer use/advise our otherwise superb
spherical Al  cans on our Joule-Thomson 2K cryorefrigerator. And there
really is not enough room to insert Sollers between sample and detector.
Are there any other materials suitable for vacuum/heat shields  for
(thermal) neutron cryorefrigerators or furnaces ?

Many thanks
Sax Mason
(Instrument D19 at ILL)

--
Sax A. Mason,  Institut Laue-Langevin (6 rue Jules Horowitz)  BP 156, 38042 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Tel: +33 476 207 067 (office) (d19: ...233, sec: ...226) Fax: +33476 207 648 (or ...483 906)