[Neutron] Workshop

Melnichenko, Yuri B. melnichenkoy at ornl.gov
Mon Mar 10 20:12:44 CET 2014

Dear Colleagues:

With this Letter we are inviting you to participate in our workshop Structure and dynamics of confined and interfacial fluids: blending scattering and computer modeling techniques at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in July. We would like to put together a small group of about 25-30 leading scientists along with 25-30 young researchers (postdocs and students) to discuss recent progress in the field and take part in a thought process to identify the needs of the scientific community in the area of Neutron Science, Theory and Computer Modeling as applied to confined fluids. The number of participants has been limited in order to facilitate deeper interactions. In particular we would like to understand possible areas of cooperation and overlap between small-angle scattering, various kinds of spectroscopy, and how these experimental techniques can best be integrated with theory, modeling and computational methods.

The workshop will begin at 8:45 a.m. on Wednesday, July 16th and close at 5:30 p.m. on Friday, 19th.  The format of the workshop will be a mixture of talks with an emphasis on a 5-10-year outlook in different scientific and technical fields, and discussion sessions. An agenda will be sent by June 5th with a requested title for your contribution.

There is no registration fee for the workshop and local hors d'oeuvres and a conference dinner will be covered by the workshop. A block of rooms is being reserved at the ORNL guest house and a number of hotels is available in Oak Ridge and surrounding area. Limited travel funds will be available. For travel assistance please contact Ava Ianni, ianniay at ornl.gov<mailto:ianniay at ornl.gov>, (865) 241-8270.

We look forward to a vigorous and thought-provoking workshop.  More information on the workshop will be made available at https://neutrons.ornl.gov/conf/sdf2014/index.shtml.

Best wishes,

Yuri B. Melnichenko, A. Sokolov, E. Mamontov, J. Morris, and P. Cummings Workshop Organizing Committee

Yuri B. Melnichenko

Senior Research Staff

Local contact for GP SANS

Neutron Sciences Directorate