[Neutron] Job offer: Industrial Liaison Scientist (m/f)

Marc.Thiry at hzg.de Marc.Thiry at hzg.de
Tue Nov 15 15:30:18 CET 2016

The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht has bundled its activities in the field
of materials science using synchrotron radiation and neutrons at the
"German Engineering Materials Science Centre" (GEMS). GEMS is part of the
Materials Physics Division of the Institute of Materials Research. It is
the user platform which provides external users with unique research
instruments for their materials research with a strong focus on
challenging in-situ experiments.

The instruments at GEMS are available for the use of research scientists
and engineers from universities, research institutes and industry. The
synchrotron radiation instruments are operated at the synchrotron ring
PETRA III which is located at the outstation of the Helmholtz-Zentrum
Geesthacht at Deutsches Elektronen Synchrotron (DESY) in Hamburg.

The instruments using neutrons are located at the outstation of the
Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht at the research reactor FRM II in Garching
near Munich and are partially operated together with the Technical
University Munich.

Our instrumentation is optimized for investigating engineering materials
and we offer beamtime to external users. Even though the majority of users
are from the academic sector, there is an increasing demand by industry.
Within the Horizon 2020 project "ACCELERATE" we are promoting industrial
research at large scale research facilities, in particular Central Europe
(Austria, Italy, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Romania,
Poland).

Within this framework we are searching for an

Industrial Liaison Scientist (m/f)
code-no. 2016/WP 5

based in Hamburg (Outstation at DESY). This position will be starting at
the 01.01.2017 and will be initially limited for four years.

Your Tasks:
You will be responsible for the operation of industrial beamtimes. We
expect you to act as "local contact" for beamtimes at our instruments (in
close collaboration with our instrument scientists), to prepare scientific
reports and publish results. In addition we expect you e.g. to participate
in and to present the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht at trade fairs and
other events, to proactively approach potential customers from industry.

Profile of qualifications:
Required for the position is a PhD or equivalent in materials science,
physics, physical chemistry or related fields, high flexibility and the
ability to work independently. Expertise in materials science and/or the
application of synchrotron radiation and/or neutrons for diffraction or
imaging is also in demand.
Experience in cooperation with industry is an asset. For working with us,
you should be a team player and have excellent communication and
organizational skills. Good english language skills are required. Skills
in German and/or any languages of the partner countries (see above) are an
asset.

For further questions please contact Dr. Marc Thiry (marc.thiry at hzg.de).

We offer an appropriate salary related to TV-AVH as well as the usual
public sector social benefits. The advancement of equality at the
Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht goes without saying; in particular, we are
striving to increase the percentage of women in the science sector.
Severely disabled persons with equal qualifications will be considered
preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.

Please send your application indicating job offer code no. 2016/WP 5
preferably by e-mail (as pdf-file including a CV and references) to
personal at hzg.de.

Application period from November 7th, 2016 to December 4th, 2016
Dr. Marc Thiry
Industrial Liaison Officer
German Engineering Materials Science Centre (GEMS)
Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht (Außenstelle DESY)
Notkestr. 85
22607 Hamburg

http://gems.hzg.de
Phone: +49-(0)40-8998-6914
Mobile: +49-(0)171-8011191
Fax: +49-(0)40-8998-5399
Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht
Zentrum für Material- und Küstenforschung GmbH
Max-Planck-Straße 1 I 21502 Geesthacht I Deutschland/Germany

Geschäftsführer/Board of Management: Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Kaysser, Dipl.-Ing. Michael Ganß
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Ministerialdirigent Dr. Herbert Zeisel
Amtsgericht Lübeck HRB 285 GE (Register Court)
Internet: http://www.hzg.de