The Science Directorate at the European Spallation Source (ESS) in Lund, Sweden, invites applications for a Neutron Scattering Systems Integration Engineer.
Description of the project
The Neutron Scattering Systems (NSS) Project is managed by the ESS Science Directorate to build the neutron beam facility at the ESS. The scope of work includes the design and construction of 16 neutron scattering instruments, the neutron transport systems and shielding, and the integration of all systems into an operable neutron science facility for the European science community. Delivery of 65% of the scope of the project will be by In-Kind partners throughout Europe, and the remaining 35% of the scope by ESS-Lund.
The NSS Construction Engineer reports directly to the NSS Project leader. The role will be primarily focused on coordination of civil construction activities. In the first instance this entails liaison with the conventional facilities division to meet the needs of the NSS project and management of Safety and Licensing on behalf of the NSS project. As the project progresses primary responsibilities will be to manage assembly and installation of key NSS equipment, including the neutron guide bunker, the neutron beam instruments and the laboratories and services.
Responsibility of the NSS Construction Engineer includes co-ordination of teams engaged in construction activities and engagement with stakeholders. Stakeholders for this project include Conventional Facilities Division, Target Division, Environment Safety and Health Division, the In-Kind partners involved in manufacture of the bunker (through the NSS Integration Engineer), the teams building neutron beam instruments (through the Neutron Instruments Lead Engineer and the NSS in-Kind office) and the Scientific Activities Division.
The Construction Engineer will lead the team that develops and executes integration planning for the installation and commissioning phase of the NSS instruments project. Additionally, this person will be responsible for working with other members of the Science Directorate and ESS’s partners in order to meet the goals of the NSS Project. To succeed in this role the appointee will need to display exceptional leadership and management skills. As the project progresses there will be possibilities for advancement to a more senior engineering and/or management role within the Science Directorate. Experienced candidates could be hired in an advanced role directly.
Kristina Anderberg (HR Business Parner)
What ESS can offer
At ESS we offer people with talent and passion a unique opportunity to be involved in the development and building of a world leading facility for materials research. Besides attractive employment and relocation conditions, the flexibility to balance work life with private life and good opportunities to further enhance your skills; you will also enjoy being part of a company culture that promotes and supports internal career growth. We pride ourselves in having successful collaboration across different functions, and as the company continues to grow we will keep nurturing the international and vibrant environment welcoming people from all across the world.
Duration & Location
This is a permanent position. Your work place will be situated in Lund, Sweden. The position is to be filled as soon as possible.
Please provide your curriculum vitae and covering letter in English by clicking on “apply” and following the instructions. Please note we only accept applications via the ESS website, https://europeanspallationsource.se/vacancies. The deadline for applications is 22nd of January 2016. The recruitment process is ongoing and the deadline may be shortened. Therefore we recommend that applications be submitted as soon as possible. For further information regarding the recruitment process, please contact HR Business Parner, Kristina Anderberg, kristina.anderberg[at]esss.se