ISIS, UK (75%), Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden (25%)
The PhD student will join the research group of Assoc. Prof. Maths Karlsson at the Energy and Materials Division of the Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering at Chalmers University of Technology, and will also be affiliated to the Molecular Spectroscopy Group at the ISIS Pulsed Neutron & Muon Source in the United Kingdom. Our research, at the interface between physics, chemistry, and materials science, focuses on investigations of key fundamental properties of atomic-scale structure and dynamics in energy relevant oxides. The primary tools to this end involve the use, and development, of advanced neutron scattering methods, as well as infrared light at free electron lasers, available at international large-scale facilities around the world. Our research is strengthened by the collaboration with national and international colleagues, that provide complementary expertise in, for example, materials synthesis and computer modelling.
The PhD student will be part of a collaborative project between Chalmers, Uppsala University and the the Molecular Spectroscopy Group at the ISIS Pulsed Neutron & Muon Source, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in the U.K (see www.isis.stfc.ac.uk/groups/molecular-spectroscopy). The PhD student will be primarily based at ISIS (on a 75% basis), while the rest of the time (25%) he/she will be based at Chalmers. The project focuses on studies on hydrogen dynamics in solid state oxide materials, stretching from protic (H+) to hydridic (H-) species, with a view towards their application as electrolytes for solid oxide fuel cells and as hydrogen-storage materials. The main techniques within this project will be inelastic and quasielastic neutron scattering methods, available at ISIS, as well as density functional theory calculations to model the experimental data. Other neutron facilities, in France, Germany, and the U.S.A, may be used on a complementary basis. As part of the project, the student will also take part in the evaluation of the current limitations associated with the measurement of hydrogen diffusion in thin films and interfaces. The student will collaborate closely with a new Postdoc, that will be employed at Uppsala University and who will also be based at ISIS on a 75% basis. The PhD student will have the unique opportunity to work a dynamic environment in close collaboration with both world-leading scientists and instrument teams. The project is of direct relevance to the science programme of the future European Spallation Source (ESS), which is under construction in Lund, Sweden, and aims towards building up competence to construct and run neutron science and instrumentation programmes at this new facility. A close link to the Swedish graduate school on neutron scattering (www.swedness.se) will allow building up connections at a national level. The position is for four years and will support science programs funded by the Swedish Research Council.
Full-time temporary employment. The position is limited to a maximum of five years.
To qualify as a PhD student, you must have a master’s level degree corresponding to at least 240 higher education credits in a relevant field. To be successful, you have to be highly motivated, independent, and demonstrate a high level of analytical and mathematical skills. Excellent knowledge of English, written and spoken, is essential.
Chalmers continuously strives to be an attractive employer. Equality and diversity are substantial foundations in all activities at Chalmers.
Dr. Maths Karlsson
The application should be marked with Ref 20170294 and written in English. The application should be sent electronically and be attached as pdf-files, as below:
CV: (Please name the document: CV, Family name, Ref. number)
Personal letter: (Please name the document as: Personal letter, Family name, Ref. number)
Please use the button at the foot of the original posting page to reach the application form. The files may be compressed (zipped).
Application deadline: 7 January, 2018
For questions, please contact:
Dr. Maths Karlsson, Energy and Materials, firstname.lastname@example.org.