[Neutron] 1. call for proposals, FRM II, Garching, Germany

Juergen Neuhaus Juergen.Neuhaus at frm2.tum.de
Mon Oct 4 17:37:22 CDT 2004

First Call for Proposals FRM II

The new German neutron source FRM II will finish the start up operation
soon. On March, 2nd 2004 the reactor went critical the first time and
reached full power on August, 26th. Already with the first neutrons
available, the commissioning of the instruments started.

>From today, October,4th 2004 we ask for proposals to be submitted via
our user portal http://user.frm2.tum.de. Please register here as new
user. You will get a personal account to access the proposal system and
additional informations.

The FRM II is a partner in the EU supported network of European neutron
facilities (NMI3 in FP6). Researchers working in EU Member States or
Associated States other than Germany can apply for travel and
subsistence reimbursement.

For the first build up instruments we will distribute up to 52 days of
beam time during the next two reactor cycles. For the following
instruments applications can be submitted:

    Typ     | Name        |        Instrument
Diffraction | Heidi       |single crystall diffractometer hot source
            | Resi        |single crystall diffractometer thermal source
            | Spodi       |powder diffractometer, thermal source
            | Stress-Spec |material-science diffractometer
            | Refsans     |reflectometer for bio-physics
            | Mira        |reflectometer with long wave lenght neutrons
Spectroscopy| Reseda      |Resonanz-Spin-Echo spectrometer cold source
            | TofTof      |time-of-flight spectrometer, cold source
            | NRSE-TAS    |Three-axis-spectrometer SpinEcho therm.source
            | Puma        |Three-axis-spectrometer, thermal source
            | Panda       |Three-axis-spectrometer, cold source
Positrons   | Nepomuc     |positron beam ("open beam port")
            | Nepomuc-PAES|positron-auger-spectrometer
            | Nepomuc-CDB |spectrometer (Coincidence doppler broadening)
Radiography | Antares     |radiography and tomography, cold source
Tomography  | Nectar      |radiography/tomography fission neutron source
particle    | Mephisto    |neutron beam cold source for special
physics     |             |experiments

The commissioning and optimization of the instruments is actually not
completed. In addition our user portal opens the first time for
external users. Therefor we explicitly ask for "friendly users" in this
first call for proposals. They will be asked to support us for further
optimizing our instruments and service. Details of the instruments and
sample environment available can be obtained from our Internet site
http://www.frm2.tum.de.

Deadline for proposal submission is November, 1rst 2004. The external
referee committee will discus the proposals on November, 26th.

In addition to the beam hole experiments irradiation facilities are
available for neutron activation analysis, isotope production and
silicon doping. Altogether 17 irradiation channels have been put into
operation for scientific and industrial applications.

Contact:
TU München, ZWE FRM II, user office, 85747 Garching, Germany
e-mail: userinfo at frm2.tum.de
Phone: +49 89 289 14313, Fax: +49 89 289 12162

Juergen Neuhaus Technische Universitaet Muenchen Tel.: (+49) 89 2891 2187
ZWE FRM-II      D-85747 Garching, Germany        Fax.: (+49) 89 2891 4995
http://www.frm2.tu-muenchen.de/