[Neutron] Inauguration Symposium "Juelich Centre for Neutron Science" and European User Meeting

Reiner Zorn r.zorn at fz-juelich.de
Tue Nov 22 17:44:48 CST 2005

Dear Colleagues,

Spring 2006 marks a major reorientation of research with neutrons at
Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH (FZJ): while it is planned that the
research reactor FRJ-2 will be permanently shut down in May 2006,
Juelich will strengthen its activities at external neutron sources. For
this purpose, we found the "Juelich Centre for Neutron Science" JCNS,
which encompasses the in-house research with neutrons, the instrument
and method development and the instrument operation and user programs at
the FRM-II reactor in Munich, the SNS Spallation Source in Oak Ridge and
the ILL high flux reactor in Grenoble.

In order to inform you about the new possibilities which will be offered
to the scientific community through the "Juelich Centre for Neutron
Science" and to discuss our plans with present and potential users, we
intend to hold a

    Symposium for the Inauguration of the
      "Juelich Centre for Neutron Science" JCNS
    and
       European Users Meeting.

The event will take place at

       Forschungszentrum Juelich
       on Thursday, 16 February 2006 and Friday, 17 February 2006.

Besides a presentation of the visions for JCNS, the inauguration on
Thursday will feature several plenary talks by eminent neutron
scientists relating to the Jülich research activities in soft matter
science and magnetism as well as recent highlights from FRM-II, SNS and
ILL. On Friday, in the context of a European users meeting, the plans
for JCNS will be detailed in three parallel workshops for "high
resolution spectroscopy", "large scale structures" and "polarised
neutron applications" leading to a final plenary discussion with the
users.

We are well aware that this announcement is made on rather short notice,
but hope that many of you can participate in this discussion of an
important development for research with neutrons in Europe.

To encourage young scientists to participate, we offer a number of
travel grants. Current and prospective users from the EU and associated
countries can apply for travel support through the NMI3 Access
Programme. Further information can be found on our web-site:

       http://www.jcns.info

Please take the time to register now.

We hope to see you in Juelich.

    Thomas Brueckel and Dieter Richter