[Neutron] 60% Cold Neutron Flux Increase at GKSS, Call for Proposals

Andreas.Schreyer at gkss.de Andreas.Schreyer at gkss.de
Thu Dec 22 18:05:00 CST 2005

Dear Colleagues,

with this email we would like to inform you that the Geesthacht Neutron
Facility
will increase its cold neutron flux by 60% by upgrading is cold neutron
source.
The upgrade will take place in winter 2006/2007 during our routine yearly
2.5 months shutdown.
The increased flux will be available from March 2007 onwards.
Half of our instruments (2 SANS, 1 USANS, 2 Reflectometers) will profit
from this flux increase.

We would like to take this opportunity to point out that our facility will
continue to be in
operation at least for the rest of the decade. Our instrument suite is
continuously improved:
In 2005 a new Reflectometer commenced operation, in April 2006 our strain
scanner ARES will be available with
a new secondary spectrometer and a neutron tomography camera now
complements our neutron imaging capabilities.

We wish you a Merry Christmas and hope to see you here for exciting
science in 2006.

Call for Proposals by the Geesthacht Neutron Facility

(GeNF, http://genf.gkss.de).

As a specialty of GeNF, proposals can be submitted at any time and are
reviewed continuously to provide fast and flexible access to our neutron
facility for external users.

Nevertheless, in order to optimise the beamtime allocation in the upcoming

period we would like to ask interested users to submit proposals (see
http://genf.gkss.de) until

January 31st, 2006

by email to genf at gkss.de

The Neutron Reflectometer NeRo is now open to external users.
Please check
http://www.gkss.de/pages.php?page=w_abt_genesys_nero.html&language=d&version=g

GeNF offers travel support through the EU program "ACCESS to research
infrastructures" to EU users from outside Germany. If you are interested,
please tick the corresponding box on the proposal form.
Users, who are not eligible to the EU ACCESS program (e.g. German users)
can apply for travel support from GeNF if they have no alternative funds.

A list of the available instruments is given below. Further details are
available at

http://genf.gkss.de

For general questions please contact: genf at gkss.de

We hope to see you at GeNF for some exciting science!

Best Regards

The Team of GeNF

Diffractometers

ARES (peter.staron at gkss.de)
Diffractometer to Analyse Residual Stresses in specimens with technical
sizes (up to 200 kg) using thermal nonpolarised neutrons.

TEX-2 (brokmeier at gkss.de)
Four circle neutron TEXture diffractometer to characterise textures in
metallic, ceramic and geologic materials using thermal nonpolarised
neutrons.

Small Angle Neutron Scattering

SANS-1 (vasyl.haramus at gkss.de)
Used primarily for structure investigations of 'soft matter' such as
biological macromolecules, colloids, micro emulsions and polymers,
optional is the use of polarised neutrons.

SANS-2 (helmut.eckerlebe at gkss.de)
Mainly used for the characterisation of precipitates, clusters,
interfaces, grain sizes, magnetic structures etc. in (engineering)
materials, polarised neutrons are optional.

DCD (klaus.pranzas at gkss.de)
Ultra small angle scattering experiment using cold non-polarised neutrons
to characterise large creep, fatigue and sintering cavities, voids,
bubbles, etc. in materials.

Reflectometers

PNR (danica.solina at gkss.de)
Polarised Neutron Reflectometer to study magnetic and other surfaces,
layers, thin films and membranes using cold nonpolarised/polarised
neutrons at high fluxes.

NeRo (dieter.lott at gkss.de)
NEutron ReflectOmeter to study surfaces, layers, thin films and membranes
using cold nonpolarised neutrons at high resolution.
A polarisation option including an analyser for diffuse scattering will be

added in 2005.

Imaging

GENRA-3 (vollbrandt at gkss.de)
GEesthacht Neutron RAdiography facility for non-destructive analysis of
materials by static and dynamic imaging as well as by neutron tomography.

Prof. Dr. Andreas Schreyer
Institute for Materials Research
Dept. WFN (Neutron-/Synchrotron Scattering)
GKSS-Research Center
PO Box 1160
D-21494 Geesthacht, Germany
web: http://genf.gkss.de