[Neutron] Three positions in SANS, strain scanning, and reflectomretry at GKSS

Andreas.Schreyer at gkss.de Andreas.Schreyer at gkss.de
Tue Jul 18 13:36:42 CDT 2006

GKSS operates the Geesthacht Neutron Facility GeNF using the reliable
medium flux neutron source FRG-1 (http://genf.gkss.de) and is currently
creating a centre for materials research based on the complementary use of

synchrotron and neutron radiation. Important topics of our applied
research are, among others, the investigation of lightweight structural
materials by diffraction (strains, textures) and tomography as well as
metallic and polymer nanostructures by small angle scattering and
reflectometry. In the framework of a strategic collaboration with the HGF
institution DESY (Hamburg) we are operating a synchrotron beamline for
high energies at the storage ring DORIS III and are building a further
Beamline
at the new storage Ring PETRA III at DESY.
In addition we operate a growing outstation at the new neutron
source FRM II in Munich currently focussing on neutron reflectometry and
texture analysis and in future also on small angle scattering and
potentially on
strain scanning. In this framework we have three openings:

One of the most outstanding instruments at GeNF is the SANS-2 instrument
which is
mainly dedicated to neutron small-angle scattering studies in materials
science.
SANS-2 is complemented by the double crystal diffractometer DCD which
extends the
accessible size range to larger structures. In this framework we are
looking for a

Scientist (Postdoc)   -   Code-No. W 6

(initial thee year contract)who will have a leading role in operating and
further
developing the two instruments SANS-2 and DCD.

In this position you will support external users during experiment,
evaluation and publication
of results and deal with orders from industry. This position will allow
you to develop your
own scientific program taking advantage of the potential of our research
center. Within this context,
international collaborations as well as cooperation with staff members and
other scientists
at GKSS are highly encouraged.

In addition we are looking for a

Scientist (Postdoc)  -  Code-No. W 9

(initial three-year contract) in the field of residual stress analysis
with diffraction methods. You will be responsible for one of our neutron
diffractometers for residual stress analysis. In this position you will
take care of external users of our facility at Geesthacht as well as deal
with scheduled orders from industry. Opportunities for gaining additional
qualifications by cooperation with internal partners, especially in the
field of joining techniques, are available. Current topics in this field
are friction stir welding as well as laser beam welding for aircraft
construction. In addition, you will also deal with fundamental problems of

diffraction-based stress analysis. Ideally, you already have a working
knowledge in the mechanics of materials and experience with diffraction
methods for residual stress analysis.

Furthermore, we are looking for a

Scientist (Postdoc)  -  Code-No. W 10

(initial three-year contract) in the field of nanomagnetism who should
have experience with polarised neutron reflectometry and diffuse
scattering which are used for the study of vertically and laterally
structured magnetic and non-magnetic nanostructures. You will be
responsible for one of our neutron reflectometers in Geesthacht with the
mission to take care of external users. In addition you will be integrated

into exciting research efforts in the fast moving field of nanomagnetism
in cooperation with external partners.

A fast familiarization with new topics is a personal challenge for all of
you. Use of complex experiments and control software is no challenge for
you. Your English communication skills are good; German language skills
are an asset. You have adopted a purposeful and result-oriented way of
working and are able to realize this in a team. You are flexible and
communicative in your approach with collaborators and you give priority to

the success of a project and your team. You are used to publishing the
results of your work and presenting them at international conferences.

A Ph. D. or equivalent in a field relevant to one of the research areas
listed above (e.g. physics, materials science, crystallography, chemistry
?) is mandatory. We offer an appropriate salary, related to TV-AVH as well
as
the usual public sector social benefits.

The GKSS is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer seeking to
increase the proportion of female faculty members.
Qualified women are therefore especially encouraged to apply.
Handicapped persons with equal qualifications will be preferred.

For inquiries please contact Dr. Pranzas (klaus.pranzas at gkss.de).
Please send your application with reference to code W 6, 9 or 10 including
CV
and references to the email address given above