[Neutron] "Opportunities in Neutron Powder Diffraction" - A Symposium in Honor of James D. Jorgensen

Ray Osborn ROsborn at anl.gov
Wed Oct 4 11:03:54 CDT 2006

We were all deeply saddened by the recent passing of Jim Jorgensen after a
long battle with cancer. In his honor, we are organizing a Symposium on
"Opportunities in Neutron Powder Diffraction", that will celebrate recent
developments in a field to which Jim made so many seminal contributions. It
will highlight progress in both science and instrumentation, with
contributions from leading scientists and colleagues with whom Jim
interacted as a scientist and as a person.  We invite all those who want to
celebrate his scientific achievements and discover their relevance to future
research opportunities to attend.

Symposium on "Opportunities in Neutron Powder Diffraction"
A Tribute to James D. Jorgensen (1948-2006)
Argonne National Laboratory
Saturday, December 9, 2006

Program
This will be an all-day event, including morning and afternoon talks, and an
evening banquet. Further details of the program will be posted on the web at
<http://www.msd.anl.gov/groups/nxrs/workshop/>.

Speakers include:
* Gabriel Aeppli
* Dimitri Argyriou
* Jack Carpenter
* William David
* David Hinks
* John Parise
* Paolo Radaelli
* Ivan Schuller
* Sunil Sinha
* Yuichi Shimakawa

Registration
There is no registration fee but a prompt response, even if tentative, would
help us to firm our plans.  It would also be useful to register early at the
Argonne Guest House, which has set aside a block of rooms (cost: $70 per
night).  Inquiries about local transportation, hotel registration, etc.
should be directed to:
* Janice Coble <coble at anl.gov> +1 (630) 252-5497

Local Organizing Committee
* Gian Felcher <felcher at anl.gov>