[Neutron] Call for proposals for measuring time at the Geesthacht Neutron Facility (GeNF)

klaus.pranzas at gkss.de klaus.pranzas at gkss.de
Mon Mar 26 16:12:45 CDT 2007

Dear Colleagues,

The new cold source of the Geesthacht Neutron Facility (GeNF) is
approaching completion. New proposals for our 2 SANS, 1 USANS and 2
reflectometer instruments will profit from the resulting increase in the
flux of cold neutrons by 60%. In order to optimise the beamtime allocation
in the upcoming period we would like to ask interested users to submit
proposals (see http://genf.gkss.de, proposal form available as Word or
PDF-file) until

April 16th, 2007

by email to genf at gkss.de

As a specialty of GeNF, proposals can be submitted at any time and are
reviewed continuously to provide fast and flexible access to our neutron
facility for external users.

GeNF offers travel support through the EU program "ACCESS to research
infrastructures" to EU users from outside Germany. If you are interested,
please tick the corresponding box in the proposal form. Users, who are not
eligible to the EU ACCESS program (e.g. users from German universities)
can apply for travel support from GeNF if they have no alternative funds.

The GeNF instruments are listed below. Further details are available at

http://genf.gkss.de

For general questions please contact: genf at gkss.de

We hope to see you at GeNF for some exciting science!

Best Regards

The Team of GeNF

Diffractometers

ARES (peter.staron at gkss.de)
Diffractometer to Analyse Residual Stresses in specimens with technical
sizes (up to 200 kg) using thermal nonpolarised neutrons.

TEX-2 (brokmeier at gkss.de)
Four circle neutron TEXture diffractometer to characterise textures in
metallic, ceramic and geologic materials using thermal nonpolarised
neutrons.

Small Angle Neutron Scattering

SANS-1 (vasyl.haramus at gkss.de)
Used primarily for structure investigations of 'soft matter' such as
biological macromolecules, colloids, micro emulsions and polymers,
optional is the use of polarised neutrons.

SANS-2 (helmut.eckerlebe at gkss.de)
Mainly used for the characterisation of precipitates, clusters,
interfaces, grain sizes, magnetic structures etc. in (engineering)
materials, polarised neutrons are optional.

DCD (melissa.sharp at gkss.de)
Ultra small angle scattering experiment using cold non-polarised neutrons
to characterise large creep, fatigue and sintering cavities, voids,
bubbles, etc. in materials.

Reflectometers

PNR (danica.solina at gkss.de)
Polarised Neutron Reflectometer to study magnetic and other surfaces,
layers, thin films and membranes using cold nonpolarised/polarised
neutrons at high fluxes.

NeRo (dieter.lott at gkss.de)
NEutron ReflectOmeter to study surfaces, layers, thin films and membranes
using cold nonpolarised neutrons at high resolution. A polarisation option
including an analyser for diffuse scattering is also available.

Imaging

GENRA-3 (pranzas at gkss.de)
GEesthacht Neutron RAdiography facility for non-destructive analysis of
materials by static and dynamic imaging as well as by neutron tomography.

Dr. P. Klaus Pranzas
GKSS Research Centre
Member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centres
Institute of Materials Research
Max-Planck-Strasse 1
D-21502 Geesthacht

Tel: +49 (0)4152 87 1326