[Neutron] Indiana Univ/NIST postdoc position in 3He neutron spin filters

Tom Gentile thomas.gentile at nist.gov
Thu May 24 09:52:47 CDT 2007

A postdoctoral position in the development and application of polarized 3He
neutron spin filters for both neutron scattering and fundamental neutron
physics is currently available. The successful candidate will be employed
by Indiana University and based at the National Institute of Standards and
Technology (NIST) in Gaithersburg, Maryland.  Neutron spin filters based on
optically pumped 3He are becoming of significant interest for polarized
neutron instruments and have particular relevance to the upcoming
Spallation Neutron Source (SNS).  Leading this effort in the U.S., our
collaboration includes Indiana University, NIST, Hamilton College and the
Univ. of Wisconsin.
We collaborate with researchers at the SNS, the Intense Pulsed Neutron Source
(IPNS) at Argonne National Laboratory, the Low Energy Neutron Source
(LENS), the Los Alamos Neutron Science Center (LANSCE), and Brookhaven
National Lab, and we have ties to neutron facilities overseas.   Our
program spans the range from basic studies of the optical pumping of 3He to
applications.  Neutron scattering applications include a wide range of
polarized neutron instruments.  In fundamental neutron physics, we are
involved in parity violation,
neutron interferometry, and neutron decay experiments that require
polarized neutrons.  Given the interdisciplinary nature of this endeavor,
we are open to candidates with backgrounds in atomic, optical, nuclear, or
condensed matter physics.  Further information can be obtained by
contacting Tom Gentile at thomas.gentile at nist.gov or 301-975-5431, or Mike
Snow at snow at iucf.indiana.edu or 812-855-7914.  Indiana University is an
Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer committed to excellence
through diversity.  The University actively encourages applications of
women,
minorities, and persons with disabilities.

Thomas R. Gentile			phone:  301-975-5431
NIST				FAX:  301-926-1604
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8461 		e-mail:  thomas.gentile at nist.gov
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8461