[Neutron] SNS OPENING - Neutron Scattering Instrument Scientist
Adams, Paul F.
adamspf at ornl.gov
Thu Jun 21 11:52:56 CDT 2007
Neutron Scattering Instrument Scientist
The Spallation Neutron Source (SNS) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory
invites applications for a Neutron Scattering Instrument Scientist. SNS
is the most powerful short-pulse spallation neutron source in the world.
This unique facility provides opportunities for up to 2000 researchers
each year from universities, national labs, and industry for basic and
applied research and technology development. The diverse fields of study
include materials science, magnetic materials, polymers and complex
fluids, chemistry, and biology. Funded by the U.S. Department of
Energy's Office of Science, SNS began operations in June 2006.
Responsibilities & Qualifications
Successful candidate will oversee the design and construction of the
cross correlation Time-of-Flight neutron scattering instrument, Corelli,
dedicated for single-crystal diffuse scattering studies. Develop a
world-class scientific research program using neutron scattering
techniques, and in particular diffuse scattering.
Major duties and responsibilities are listed below:
* Oversees the design, installation, and commissioning of the Corelli.
* Conducts leading edge scientific research using neutron scattering,
areas of research may include, but are not limited to, magnetism,
condensed matter physics, chemistry, earth science, and materials
* Ensures that Corelli is capable of supporting leading edge science
* Supports the neutron scattering users program for Corelli.
* Leads the operation of the Corelli.
* Acts as local contact for diffuse scattering studies in the HFIR/SNS
neutron scattering user program.
* Works with scientists of the HFIR/SNS user community in support of the
neutron scattering user program.
* Works with other instrument scientists, members of NSSD and with the
HFIR/SNS user community to define and implement other equipment and
infrastructure to meet the general instrumentation needs related to the
HFIR/SNS neutron scattering instruments.
* Works with scientists in NSSD, ORNL and external institutions, in the
development and conduction of collaborative scientific research
* Directs the work of one or more postdoctoral assignees and/or
* Ensures compliance with environmental, safety, health, and quality
program requirements including ISMS.
* Maintains a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation
of laboratory values and ethics.
The successful candidates must have: Ph.D. in any of the Physical
Sciences plus postdoctoral experience. Strong background in condensed
matter physics or materials science as evidenced by an outstanding
record of publications in top peer-reviewed journals. Strong
interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills. Desire to work in
a team environment on technically challenging problems. Experience in
neutron scattering is highly desirable.
ORNL offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits.
This posting will remain open for a minimum of three weeks after which
it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
Please submit your resume, references and publication list in one file.
We can only accept Microsoft Word documents.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email
Helpdesk at icims.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer
To learn more and apply, go to http://jobs.ornl.gov and select position
number 2453. Please submit your resume, references, and publication list
in one file.
Sr. Technical Recruiter
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
* P.O. Box 2008, Oak Ridge, TN 37831
* E-Mail : pao at ornl.gov <blocked::mailto:pao at ornl.gov>
* Phone : 865.576.0350
* Fax : 865.574.4441
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron