[Neutron] Termination of CCP13 & announcing a new SAS Website

King, SM (Stephen) S.M.King at rl.ac.uk
Mon Oct 1 18:48:22 CDT 2007

Dear Colleague,

Termination of CCP13

Many small-angle scatterers and fibre diffractionists will be familiar
with CCP13, the software project that commenced in January 1992.

In addition to developing useful software for the analysis of SAS and
fibre data, CCP13 spawned the journal Fibre Diffraction Review, and
acted as a global lynch pin for the community.

In 2005 the UK research councils responsible for CCP13 withdrew any
prospect of continuation funding.  Since that time members of the last
Steering Committee have been working to secure CCP13's legacy for future
generations of scatterers.  In this they have had some success.

In the near future the CCP13 website at www.ccp13.ac.uk will be shut
down for good.  However much of its content has already been transferred
to a new server based at the Diamond Light Source, and new domain names
have been secured thanks to the generosity of Diamond and the ISIS
Neutron Source.

There is, as yet, no funding to continue developing software, but there
are limited resources to maintain the existing archive.  Instead it is
hoped to make the original CCP13 source code available to skilled
developers in the community, on the understanding that they allow us to
redistribute any improvements.

Closure of CCP13 Bulletin Board

The CCP13 listserver (ccp13bb at dl.ac.uk) will also be shutdown in the
near future.  If you want to continue to receive announcements of a
SAS-specific nature then we would encourage you to subscribe to the IUCr
small-angle scattering listserver (which is moderated!) at
sa_scat at iucr.org.  If you are not already subscribed to this list, and
you must be to post to it, please register at
http://scripts.iucr.org/mailman/listinfo/sa_scat.

NEW website

The new website we have put together is called 'Software for Small-Angle
Scattering' - perhaps not a name that will win any awards but at least
you will know what you are getting! - and we hope that it will become a
one-stop shop for your SAS software and SAS resource needs.

You have a choice of URL's to bookmark depending on your SAS background
(they both point to the same site!):

www.small-angle.ac.uk

www.fibre-diffraction.ac.uk

If you have any SAS-related software, workshops or other resources that
you would like the website to promote, please get in touch.  Details on
the website!

With our best regards,

Tim Wess (CCP13 Chairman)

Nick Terrill (Diamond)