[Neutron] Igor Goncharenko 1965-2007

MENELLE Alain alain.menelle at cea.fr
Wed Nov 14 23:28:18 CST 2007

It is with deep sadness we report that our colleague Igor Goncharenko disappeared on 4 November 2007 during a scuba diving trip in the Red Sea.

Igor was born in 1965 in Novosibirsk (Russia). He earned his doctorate in 1991 at the Physics Institute of Technology in Moscow and moved to the Kurchatov Institute. In 2000, he accepted a CNRS position in the Léon Brillouin Laboratory (LLB).

His expertise in neutron scattering and very high pressure techniques was unanimously recognized. Igor was a gifted experimentalist who developed and performed neutron scattering experiments under extreme conditions. His recent work was devoted to the determination of "Unusual properties of solid oxygen and hydrogen under very high pressures" and was published in the most highly regarded reviews and journals. He is the author of more than one hundred publications.

Igor was one of the prominent researchers of LLB, always keen to take up new challenges. He was a much loved and respected colleague and friend. He will be missed by all.

We offer our deepest condolences to his wife, Lada, and family.

Philippe Mangin

Director of Laboratoire Leon Brillouin (CEA-CNRS)
CEA Saclay, France