[Neutron] 11th Oxford School on Neutron Scattering 31 August - 12 September 2009: first Announcement

Oxford School on Neutron Scattering OSNS at stfc.ac.uk
Wed Feb 4 19:35:53 CET 2009

________________________________

11th Oxford School on Neutron Scattering

31 August - 12 September 2009

University of Oxford

An ideal introduction to the theory, techniques and
applications of neutron scattering

________________________________

First Announcement

School dates for the 11th Oxford School on Neutron Scattering have been announced: 31 August - 12 September. We will have 50 residential places for students available.

The Oxford School on Neutron Scattering is intended primarily for scientists who are new to the field of neutron scattering and has been teaching students for over 40 years. Lectures and tutorials covering all aspects of the theory and practice of neutron diffraction and spectroscopy will be given by international experts. Students will gain a comprehensive grounding in modern techniques and applications at both steady state and pulsed neutron sources and have the opportunity to hear about the latest research being carried out with the technique.

More information about the legendary Oxford School on Neutron Scattering can be found on our website www.oxfordneutronschool.org and on our Facebook group (Oxford Neutron School) <http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6066660809&ref=mf> .

________________________________

Programme

The programme consists of lectures, tutorials and problem classes taking place each weekday and there will also be an opportunity to visit the nearby ISIS Neutron and Muon Source.

Topics covered during the school include:

*	Neutron sources
*	Neutron instrumentation
*	Neutron scattering theory
*	Diffraction
*	Spectroscopy
*	Small angle scattering
*	Reflectometry
*	Polarised neutrons
*	Engineering
*	Neutrons & X-rays

________________________________

Accommodation

Accommodation will be provided in single rooms in Oxford from Monday 31 August 2009 to Saturday 12 September 2009. Breakfast and evening meals will be provided for each day of the school.

Students will be expected to arrive on Monday 31 August and depart on Saturday 12 September.

Lectures and tutorials take place within the University of Oxford.

________________________________

School fees

50 places are available for students attending the school. The cost per student for the Oxford School on Neutron Scattering will be around £425 (€ 480) - final cost to be confirmed for 2009. We regret that bursaries are not available from the school since we use money from our supporting partners to reduce the total cost per student for all students.

You may be able to attract sponsorship or contributions to the school fees from learned societies or government science agencies in your home country.

Social programme

A lively social programme is planned and there will be opportunities for punting on the Oxford rivers, visiting historic places and exploring the city.

Supported by

   <http://www.isis.rl.ac.uk/>         <http://www.ill.fr/>         <http://neutron.neutron-eu.net/>