[Neutron] VITESS 2.9 released and homepage moved

Klaus Habicht habicht at helmholtz-berlin.de
Tue Oct 20 09:56:09 CEST 2009

VITESS 2.9 is now available at www.helmholtz-berlin.de/vitess.

In VITESS 2.8, we added the 'grid' module, which enables the treatment
of a series of diaphragms containing multiple holes as one component,
and the minor modules 'slit', 'capture_flux' and 'spin_reset'.
Additionally we added some new options to the monochromator module and
made the module 'sm_ensemble' so flexible that it can now (principally)
treat any number of mirrors in any geometrical configuration.

With VITESS 2.9, we release some new modules:

'collimator'        : simulation of a (totally absorbing) Soller
collimator that treats all trajectories individually

'radial_collimator' : same for a radial collimator (usually used between
sample and detector)

'sample_environment': treatment of Bragg reflections in a cylinder
around the sample

'sesans_field'      : triangular magnetic field area as used for SESANS
instruments

'eval_elast2'       : intensity shown as a function of 2 parameters,
e.g. I(theta, TOF)

Additionally, there are some new features included in the guide module:
tracing of the trajectories inside the guide, flexible segmentation
(lengths and sizes of pieces are read from file), etc.

More detailed information can be found in the release note delivered
with the package.

Future developments: We plan to update the help system in the next
version, which will also contain two important new modules: 'refractive
lenses' and 'elliptical mirror'.

Best regards,

the VITESS team