[Neutron] Research Accelerator Division Director
Barker, Buffie M.
barkerbm at ornl.gov
Fri May 28 02:09:21 CEST 2010
The Neutron Sciences Directorate at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) invites applications for a Director of the Research Accelerator Division at the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS) within the Neutron Sciences Directorate. With the United States' highest flux reactor-based neutron source for condensed matter research (the High Flux Isotope Reactor) and the world's most intense pulsed, accelerator-based neutron source (the Spallation Neutron Source), ORNL is becoming the world's foremost center for neutron science. Research at these facilities encompasses the physical, chemical, materials, biological, and medical sciences and will provide opportunities for up to 2000 researchers each year from industry, research facilities, and universities all over the world. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.
The Division Director has line management responsibility for the Research Accelerator Division (RAD) at the SNS and will report directly to the Associate Lab Director (ALD).
Major duties and responsibilities:
* Responsible for the safe operation of the SNS Accelerator Complex
* Provide line management functions including supervision of technical group leaders, budget preparation, salary planning, staffing, employee relations, and performance management
* Develop plans and strategies to accomplish the following:
o High-availability operation of the SNS accelerator complex
o Improve the availability and beam power performance of the SNS Accelerator Complex
o Develop capabilities and infrastructure for accelerator performance improvements
* Attract, develop, and retain a highly-skilled and diverse staff
* Provide and manage technical resources in support of the Neutron Science program, including support as appropriate for neutron scattering instrument operation
* Development of the annual RAD business plan, goals and management system descriptions for the review and approval of the ALD
* Provide performance assurance: track and report on division-level performance metrics
* Assume the responsibilities of ALD in his/her absence as requested
* Represent the SNS before review committees, advisory committees, and visitors; and at conferences, workshops, invited talks/lectures, and technical meetings
* Serve as member of external review teams, editorial boards, advisory committees, and/or conference organizing committees
* Ensure compliance of labor relations, which includes knowledge of the bargaining-unit contract, work schedules, overtime payments, jurisdictional issues, grievance procedures, and wages
* Participate in the SNS Labor Summit Committee meetings in order to maintain cooperative relationships with onsite labor management
* Maintain a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics in the work environment
* Ensure compliance with, and leadership for, environmental, safety, health, and quality program requirements
The successful candidate must have a Ph.D. in Physics or Engineering with at least 10 years experience successfully managing one of the following: an accelerator technical group, the operation of an accelerator facility, or an accelerator-related technical project. Recognized leadership in accelerator science or technology with record of participation and membership on national and international committees, peer review boards, and/or advisory committees required. The successful candidate must have demonstrated ability to work with a broad spectrum of people in a research environment. Candidates must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and enjoy working in a team environment, with the collaboration of all levels, disciplines, and diverse cultural backgrounds of the organization.
To apply for this position: http://jobs.ornl.gov
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron