[Neutron] Scientific Data Analysis Group Leader
Barker, Buffie M.
barkerbm at ornl.gov
Wed Jul 7 19:33:31 CEST 2010
The Neutron Sciences Directorate at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) invites applications for a Scientific Data Analysis Group Leader. With the United States' highest flux reactor-based neutron source for condensed matter research (the High Flux Isotope Reactor) and the world's most intense pulsed, accelerator-based neutron source (the Spallation Neutron Source), ORNL is becoming the world's foremost center for neutron science. Research at these facilities encompasses the physical, chemical, materials, biological, and medical sciences and will provide opportunities for up to 2000 researchers each year from industry, research facilities, and universities all over the world. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.
Lead the members of the Scientific Data Analysis Group within the Neutron Scattering Sciences Division (NSSD). Provide the vision for, and management of, a scientific software research and development group within NSSD that supports and enhances the research programs carried out on the neutron scattering beamlines at the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS) and the High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR).
* Perform the management and leadership tasks for the Scientific Data Analysis Group in NSSD.
* Ensure that there is an on-going program of software development and maintenance that fully supports the data reduction and analysis needs of the SNS and HFIR beamlines.
* Interact with the Science Centers within NSSD to provide appropriate software support for their scientific research programs.
* Lead active research and development programs within the Scientific Data Analysis Group that collaborate with, and enhance, the neutron scattering programs being carried out on the SNS and HFIR beamlines, and within the NSSD Science Centers.
* Construct and implement strategies to develop software for advanced data analysis and visualization of neutron scattering data.
* Collaborate with the Scientific Data Management, Data Acquisition and Neutronics Groups to ensure the integration of computational software and hardware for the beamlines at SNS and HFIR.
* Collaborate with Computational Sciences Directorate, ORNL, to develop and implement a strategy that appropriately leverages the world leading neutron and computational facilities of ORNL.
* Collaborate with software teams at other facilities, Universities and companies on software developments that are appropriate and relevant to the NSSD scientific mission.
* Ensure compliance with environmental, safety, health, and quality program requirements including the ORNL Integrated Safety Management System.
* Maintain a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of laboratory values and ethics.
A Ph.D. in any of the Physical, Chemical, Biological or Computational Sciences plus relevant management and leadership experience. A strong background in developing and implementing scientific software for a user community, preferably within a scattering context. A strong track record of scientific research, preferably within a scattering context. A vision for leveraging computational resources to enhance neutron scattering experiments. Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
To apply for this position: http://jobs.ornl.gov
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron