[Neutron] Dimitri Argyriou appointed as new ESS AB Science Director

Marianne Ekdahl marianne.ekdahl at esss.se
Mon Nov 1 16:41:55 CET 2010

​Dimitri Argyriou appointed as new ESS AB Science Director

Dimitri Argyriou has been appointed as the new Science Director of the European Spallation Source ESS AB. He is to replace the current Science Director Christian Vettier.

Dimitri Argyriou will take up the position as Science Director from 1st January 2011. He is currently the Chair of the ESS Science Advisory Council and a senior scientist at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin.

Christian Vettier has been the ESS Science Director since 2007, and has decided to step down from this position, having played a key role in securing a decision on the ESS site. He was for eight years the Science Director of the Institut Laue-Langevin, and a group leader at the ESRF in Grenoble. He will now take on a new role as scientific advisor in ESS AB.

- The appointment of Dimitri Argyriou means that we will be able to continue the ambitious ESS science and instrumentation planning, which is a prerequisite for making ESS into the world’s finest neutron science tool, says Colin Carlile, Director of ESS AB.

- I am grateful that ESS has attracted yet another respected and well-known scientist. Similar to his predecessor, Dimitri Argyriou brings with him much valuable experience from both neutron and X-ray scattering.

- I want to emphasize my deeply felt gratitude to Christian Vettier for the commitment he has shown to the ESS project and for the vast experience of neutron scattering that he has brought to the project. This has given the future ESS science programme a solid ground to stand on. I am particularly glad that Christian chooses to stay within the ESS project, concludes Colin Carlile.

The ESS AB Science Director is leading the Science Division, comprising science planning and instrumentation.

- ESS represents the largest investment in neutron science in recent decades and a unique opportunity for young scientists to build the future. My singular aim is to do all I can to build the best neutron source in the world here in Lund, says Dimitri Argyriou.

- In my three years at ESS we have achieved major steps towards the construction of ESS. The site decision safely assured, this is an appropriate time for change, and to hand over to someone who will see the ESS project to completion, says Christian Vettier.

Dimitri Argyriou uses neutron and X-ray scattering methods to investigate magnetic and electronic materials. At the Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialen und Energie he leads the “Novel Materials” group. He received his Ph.D. from the University of Technology, Sydney and his Habilitation from the Rheinisch-Westfälische Technische Hochschule, Aachen. He is an elected Fellow of the American Physical Society.

For more information, please contact:

Colin Carlile, ESS AB Director. E-mail colin.carlile at esss.se, Tel. 46-(0)46-222 83 02

Marianne Ekdahl, Communications Officer Press & Politics. E-mail marianne.ekdahl at esss.se, Tel. 46-(0)46-222 83 89

ESS IN SHORT:

The European Spallation Source – the next generation facility for materials research and life science

The European Spallation Source (ESS) will be a multi-disciplinary research laboratory based on the world’s most powerful neutron source. ESS can be likened to a large microscope, where neutrons are used instead of light to study materials – ranging from polymers and pharmaceuticals to membranes and molecules – to gain knowledge about their structure and function. ESS will be up to 100 times better than existing facilities, opening up new possibilities for researchers in for example health, environment, climate, energy, transport sciences and cultural heritage.

ESS is an intergovernmental project resembling CERN in Geneva, and it will be built in Lund in southern Scandinavia. At least sixteen European countries will take part in the construction, financing and operation of the ESS. Sweden and Denmark will co-host the ESS and cover 50 percent of the 1,4 B€ investment costs and 20 percent of the operating costs together with the Nordic and Baltic states.

The European Spallation Source ESS AB is a public limited company, today owned by the Swedish State. ESS AB is planning the future international ESS organisation. Building is expected to start around 2013, the first neutrons to be produced in 2019 and the facility to be fully operational around 2025.

ESS will support a user community of 5000 researchers and will have great strategic importance for the development of the European Research Area. Near by there will be complementary laboratories, such as the synchrotron MAX IV in Lund and XFEL and PETRAIII in Hamburg.

This information was brought to you by Cision http://www.cisionwire.com