[Neutron] Position open for Instrument Scientist - Strain Scanner - in Sydney, Australia [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

MCINTYRE, Garry gmi at ansto.gov.au
Wed Jan 19 01:43:48 CET 2011

Instrument Scientist
Neutron Scattering (KOWARI)
Permanent Ongoing
Salary range A$89K to A$109K (plus 15.4% super)
Leading-Edge Research

ANSTO is one of Australia's foremost scientific research and development
organisations, focused on delivering the benefits of nuclear science to
the Australian community. Based in Sydney, we have recently commenced
operation of the new 20 MW OPAL Reactor along with its initial suite of
nine instruments, and have built up our team of scientists at the Bragg
Institute to the point that we are the leading group of
neutron-scattering scientists in the Southern Hemisphere.

We are seeking an instrument scientist to operate and perform research
using the KOWARI strain scanner at the OPAL Reactor, develop the user
community on KOWARI and other neutron-scattering instruments on OPAL,
and provide research and development leading to significant outcomes
that meet with ANSTO's strategic directions.  KOWARI is a
state-of-the-art diffractometer dedicated to the nondestructive
determination of residual stresses deep inside materials and engineering
components, particularly in fatigue and tensile-testing experiments.

The successful candidate will be expected to conduct a high-quality
research program, in collaboration with Australian universities,
industry, other ANSTO divisions, in particular the Institute of
Materials Engineering, and overseas scientists.  Possible research areas
can include engineering, materials science, and physics.

The successful candidate will have a PhD in Engineering, Physics or
Materials Science, excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and
demonstrated ability to work both independently and in teams.
Experience in neutron scattering and/or synchrotron radiation will be a
strong asset.

The Instrument Scientist will be part of the scientific team and will
report to the Research Leader for Hard Condensed Matter. Although this
position has no direct reports the position may involve a substantial
project-leadership role.

For further information please view the Position Information Package or
contact Joanne Bartley on (02) 9717 9402. Applications must be submitted
online.

Applications Close: 21 February 2011

Please click here to access the Position Information Package
<http://anstocareers.nga.net.au/publicfiles/anstocareers/jobs/ECF4ECB8-E
2D5-4C54-A8DC-9E6300A800DC/Position%20Information%20package_July10.pdf>

Dr Garry J. McIntyre

Research Leader in Hard Condensed Matter

The Bragg Institute, Australian Nuclear Science and Technology
Organisation

Locked Bag 2001, Kirrawee DC NSW 2232, Australia

Tel: +61 (2) 9717 9334, Fax: +61 (2) 9717 3606

e-mail: garry.mcintyre at ansto.gov.au

http://www.ansto.gov.au/research/bragg_institute/contacts/dr_garry_mcint
yre