[Neutron] Two open positions at Helmholtz Zentrum Berlin
haltod at helmholtz-berlin.de
Wed May 2 09:53:14 CEST 2012
The Scientific Division Magnetic Materials - Institute for Complex Magnetic Materials
1) a Scientist PhD (Physicist, Chemist, Material Scientist), Ref. No. M 2012/3
2) an Engineer (or Scientist), Ref. No. M 2012/2
The appointment is valid for 3 years. The payment is according to the Tarifvertrag für den öffentlichen Dienst (TVöD).
We invite applicants for two positions to work at the Extreme Environment Diffractometer (EXED) at the BERII research
reactor at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie GmbH, Germany. EXED is a highly innovative
time-of-flight diffractometer designed for powder and single crystal neutron scattering within restricted angular access
imposed by a High Field Magnet (HFM). The latter is under construction and will be the strongest magnet for neutron
scattering in the world. After completion of HFM, EXED will become a unique and dedicated experimental facility enabling
neutron scattering research at fields above 25 Tesla.
To run EXED and further develop and implement new modes of instrument operation, we seek
1) Postdoctoral scientist PhD (Physicist, Chemist, Material Scientist), Ref. No. M 2012/3
You are a highly motivated young scientist with strong background in neutron or x-ray scattering; magnetism and/or solid
state physics. Programming skills and knowledge of neutron instrumentation and/or Monte Carlo ray-tracing simulations
would be advantageous.
• Scientific research within the activities of the Institute for Complex Magnetic Materials
• Supporting the user program at EXED including conducting experiments with visiting researchers
• Development and installation of inelastic scattering option at EXED
• Participation in the ongoing development of SANS option at EXED
• Software development for the data acquisition and analysis
The position will allow the successful candidate to develop a strong scientific program by taking advantage of the
excellent in-house capabilities including neutron and x-ray instrumentation and support laboratories. Up to 30% of the
neutron beamtime is reserved for such own research.
2) Engineer (preferably postdoc) or postdoctoral Scientist (Physicist), with strong technical background,
Ref. No. M 2012/2
You are an experienced mechanical engineer with preference to work at a research center with large scale facilities for
an international user community.
• Technical steering for the installation of new modes of operation at EXED
• Collaboration with the EXED scientific team on design, installation and commissioning of new instrument components:
o Engineering and design of instrument components in collaboration with the HZB’s central department for construction.
o Specification of components and assistance in invitation of tenders and procurement
o Time planning with MS-Project
o Integration of HFM into EXED in collaboration with the HFM project group
The position will allow the successful candidate to contribute to the development and installation of new ambitious
research infrastructure and attain experience from the work and the contacts in international collaborations.
For informal inquiries, please contact Dr. O. Prokhnenko, Tel. 030/8062-43068.
As HZB cares about equal opportunities for men and women scientists, qualified women are especially encouraged to apply.
Handicapped applicants will be given preference to others of equal qualification.
Applicants should send their applications to Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie GmbH, Abt. Personal
und Soziales, Hahn-Meitner-Platz 1, D-14109 Berlin, Germany,
(Email: personalabteilung at helmholtz-berlin.de) quoting Reference No. as mentioned above.
The deadline for the application is May 18, 2012.
Institut für komplexe magnetische Materialien
Institute for Complex Magnetic Materials
email haltod at helmholtz-berlin.de
Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie GmbH
Mitglied der Hermann von Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft Deutscher Forschungszentren e.V.
Aufsichtsrat: Vorsitzender Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Joachim Treusch, stv. Vorsitzende Dr. Beatrix Vierkorn-Rudolph
Geschäftsführerin: Prof. Dr. Anke Rita Kaysser-Pyzalla
Sitz Berlin, AG Charlottenburg, 89 HRB 5583
More information about the Neutron