[Neutron] Nomination requested for Focus Topic ³Discovering emergent phenomena and magnetism with neutron and x-ray powder diffraction² at the 2014 American Crystallographic Association Meeting in Albuquerque (NM)

Llobet Megias, Anna allobet at lanl.gov
Fri Sep 27 22:11:23 CEST 2013

Dear Colleague,

We are writing to request your suggestions for invited speakers for the Focus Topic “Discovering emergent phenomena and magnetism with neutron and x-ray powder diffraction” at the 2014 American Crystallographic Association Meeting in Albuquerque<http://www.amercrystalassn.org/content/pages/main-annual-meetings> (NM). [Reminder: Abstract deadlines 01/31/2014!]

A description of the Focus Topic is attached below.

Your suggestions for invited speakers, including a brief justification for your recommendations, can be sent to the session chairs<mailto:allobet at lanl.gov,%20branton at byu.edu?subject=ACA%20proposal%20for%20invited%20speakers-Discovering%20emergent%20phenomena%20and%20magnetism%20with%20neutron%20and%20x-ray%20powder%20diffraction> (Dr. Anna Llobet or Prof. Branton Campbell). Please fill out the Invited Speaker Nomination Form attached below and send a plain email.

In order to meet the ACA deadline for invited speaker nominations, we ask that your suggestions reach us by 10/09/2013. Nominations sent after the deadline will not be considered.
We apologize if you receive more than one email from us seeking your nominations.  We look forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,

Anna Llobet and Branton Campbell

------------------------------
Session: “Discovering emergent phenomena and magnetism with neutron and x-ray powder diffraction”

Co-organizers: Anna Llobet (Lujan Neutron Scattering Center, Los Alamos National Laboratory) allobet at lan.lgov<mailto:allobet at lan.lgov>

Branton Campbell (Department of Physics & Astronomy Brigham Young University)  branton at byu.edu<mailto:branton at byu.edu>

Session description:

The interplay of spin, lattice, charge, and orbital degrees of freedom in strongly correlated electron systems leads to the development of novel emergent phenomena like superconductivity, magneto-electric coupling, multiferroicity to name a few. The complex nature of the competing interactions and nearly degenerate multipleground states often leads to symmetry breaking to form ordered patterns, such as the formation of stripes, ladders, checkerboards, frustrated magnetism or phase separation, and an enhanced response to external influences.  This session will focus on how neutron and x-ray powder diffraction has impacted this field by discovering and elucidating magnetic and structural short- and long-range correlations in such systems.

ACA  Meeting 2014, Albuquerque (NM)
Invited Speaker Nomination Form
“Discovering emergent phenomena and magnetism with neutron and x-ray powder diffraction”
Nominator’s Name:
* Speaker’s Last Name:
* Speaker’s First Name:
* Speaker’s Affiliation:
(Company, University, Lab)
* Speaker’s Email:
* Speaker’s Mailing Address:

*City:
*State:
*Country:
*Zip:                 (Required if country is USA.)
Phone:

*Talk Title:

Technical:      Yes/ No
Category Type:  Experimental /Theoretical
*Justification:
(1500 character limit)

Justification References:

Dr. Anna Llobet
Deputy Center Leader for Science (Acting)
Lujan Neutron Scattering Center
Los Alamos National Laboratory
MSH805
Los Alamos, NM  87545, USA