[Neutron] ORNL: Superconducting Radio Frequency LINAC Systems Engineer
Levesque, Cerissa J.
levesquecj at ornl.gov
Thu May 1 20:32:24 CEST 2014
Job Posting Title
Superconducting Radio Frequency LINAC Systems Engineer-NB50427379
End Posting Date
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 27 instruments for neutron scattering research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical sciences for more than 3,000 visiting scientists. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.<http://neutrons.ornl.gov/>
The Senior Superconducting Radio Frequency (SRF) Engineer will lead or supervise the SRF efforts within the SCL Systems Group in the Research Accelerator Division. The group is responsible for safe, reliable and cost effective operation, maintenance, and improvement of the cryomodules, cryogenic plant, and cryogenic distribution systems that comprise the SNS superconducting linear accelerator; for design, construction, commissioning, operation and maintenance of SRF/Cryogenic test facilities at SNS; for research, engineering and development of SRF/Cryogenic parts or systems for the SNS machine upgrade or in collaboration with partners; for system engineering associated with the helium components of the cryogenic moderator system that supports the SNS neutron production target; and for providing cryogenic engineering and design efforts in support of other cryogenic systems that may be installed at the SNS facility.
- Leads development of SRF efforts at the SNS. Evaluates and improves the SRF facilities to ensure the quality of outputs. Develops or supervises strategies for research and development programs.
- Directs or supervises engineering efforts in design, construction, and operation of the SNS superconducting radio-frequency (SRF) system.
- Supervises operations of the SRF facilities in support of the baseline reliability and safety objectives of the SNS.
- Directs or supervises engineering team to complete tasks or projects.
- Supervises the effort to maintain and improve the SNS superconducting linac systems (cryomodules, and interfacial systems) to meet the SNS operational metric goal.
- Ensures efficient, reliable, and optimal operations of large thermal process facilities and complex systems operations in compliance with safety regulations and safe practices.
- Documents and implements the developed systems' plans within budget and schedule.
- Supervises development and availability of current procedures, drawings, and other documentation required.
- Maintains and improves operability of accelerator by monitoring and evaluating performance, including failures and developing and implementing maintenance, improvement, and upgrade strategies and procedures.
- Participates in maintaining 24/7 operation of the SNS superconducting Linac systems, requiring flexibility in working hours
to overcome unforeseen breakdowns.
- Participates in scientific conferences, workshops, and meetings and publish results in the form of SNS technical notes and
memos, workshop and conference proceedings, and scientific journals.
- Represents and presents group activities to the Division, Directorate, and independent and DOE review groups, and professional organizations.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local environment, safety, health, and quality requirements.
- Maintains a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics.
Successful candidate will have a BS or MS degree in engineering, or a related technical field, with at least fifteen years of applicable technical experience in design, construction, and operation of SRF, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Demonstrated knowledge and an established track record of proven performance of SRF equipment and systems required. Familiarity with accelerator systems and/or complex systems facility operations desired. Excellent communications skills required. Knowledge of related safety issues, regulations, and safe practices required.
Work Directions and Interfaces
- Reports to the SCL Systems Group Leader.
- Interfaces with SCL Systems Group members, SNS and ORNL staffs, and professional peers at other institutes.
- Keeps strong commitment to team environment dynamics.
- Represents group activities to the Division, Directorate, ORNL and DOE review groups, and professional conferences, workshops, and collaboration meetings.
Measures of Effectiveness
- Success in the fulfillment of all major duties and responsibility.
- Success as measured by the ORNL Employee Performance Management process.
- Safe execution of all responsibilities in accordance with ORNL ES&H requirements.
Provides work directions/guidance to engineers, technicians, subcontractors, and vendors within guidelines established by the SCL Systems Group Leader. Initiates procurement of materials and services.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov.<mailto:ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov>
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron