[Neutron] ORNL: User Proposal Management Lead
Levesque, Cerissa J.
levesquecj at ornl.gov
Fri May 16 20:45:55 CEST 2014
Job Posting Title
User Proposal Management Lead-NB50429906
End Posting Date
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 27 instruments for neutron scattering research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical sciences for more than 3,000 visiting scientists. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov<http://neutrons.ornl.gov/>
Leads, manages, and administers all aspects of the neutron sciences user proposal process including development, testing, and implementation of the Integrated Proposal Tracking System (IPTS) and related activities with other systems, including data management and report generation.
- Oversees and delivers all aspects of the user proposal process including submission, review, beam time allocation, confirmation and team management, experiment validation, and data maintenance and reporting.
- Identifies enhancements and participates in defining future directions and process flow for integrated user management system modules.
- Extracts and evaluates data and generates reports, charts, and presentation materials. Develops, tracks, and reports trends and metrics.
- Writes communications, electronic bulletin boards, user guides, reference manuals, and help files.
- Assists customers, resolves issues, and ensures closure of outstanding actions.
- Documents, tracks, and maintains business rules and policy including system changes and communicates to customers.
- Facilitates advisory group comprised of customers to identify and test system and process enhancements.
- Prepares aids and conducts training for customer groups including instrument teams, user office staff, and targeted workshops.
- Interacts directly with customers including users to answer questions and resolve problems.
- Interacts with IT Scientific Systems team to make changes and enhancements to the ITPS and related scientific systems.
- Participates and contributes to the User Information Systems Stakeholder Committee.
- Identifies opportunities for continuous improvement of the neutron sciences user proposal process.
- Ensures compliance with training, environmental, safety, health, and quality programs including ISMS.
- Maintains a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics.
Successful candidate must have a Bachelor's degree (technical discipline preferred) with a minimum of three years of experience in research or research support or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience. Demonstrated ability to manage a project including definition and tracking of tasks, resources, and schedule required.
Experience assessing needs and developing effective systems for information management and transfer required. Must have effective oral and written communications skills with customers including individuals and groups. Must have track record of customer service and working effectively in a team environment. Expertise in the use of Microsoft Office products required. Familiarity with user program management and relational data based desired.
Work Directions and Interfaces
Position reports to the NScD User Programs Group Leader. Works with members of NScD and other ORNL user facilities. Interfaces with users and instrument scientists. Collaborates with other ORNL facilities and the user community on education and training of users, promotion of DOE's user facilities and related sciences, and integrated user management system development. Works well as a team member leading when necessary, but also able to perform work independently with little guidance. Competent with database systems in a standard office environment.
Measures of Effectiveness
- Produces effective information management tools.
- Users and instrument scientists at ORNL and other facilities are satisfied with service received and ease of access to IPTS.
- Integrated user management system is efficiently and effectively developed - provides a good reputation for HFIR, SNS, and ORNL.
- Works effectively with customers and in a team environment.
- Produces software related documentation.
- Performs work independently and is proactive in resolving problems.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov.<mailto:ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov>
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron