[Neutron] ORNL: Process Controls Technician-NB50432997
Levesque, Cerissa J.
levesquecj at ornl.gov
Tue Jun 3 20:03:24 CEST 2014
Job Posting Title
Process Controls Technician-NB50432997
End Posting Date
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 27 instruments for neutron scattering research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical sciences for more than 3,000 visiting scientists. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.<http://neutrons.ornl.gov/>
Under general supervision, serve as a Process Controls Technician supporting the development, implementation and maintenance of process instrumentation, controls, components and subsystems for the Process Controls and Integrated Controls Systems at the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS).
* Perform basic troubleshooting, repair and testing of process monitoring and control instrumentation and assemblies using electronic test equipment.
* Troubleshoot Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) based control systems.
* Produce verification and calibration procedures and checklists for process control system components.
* Procure and track spares of various components and cables.
* Support routine maintenance procedures as well as new product installations.
* Assemble prototype platforms.
* Produce light mechanical and instrumentation fabrication drawings and instructions.
* Follow SNS work control procedures for installation and preventative maintenance.
* Perform basic printed circuit board and control system layouts.
* Provide operational support for the accelerator control system. The position is typical office hours, but some off-hours and weekend support is required to support the 24/7 operational needs of the SNS.
* Ensure a safe and efficient work environment and compliance with ESH&Q procedures and programs.
* Maintain a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of professional values and ethics.
Associates degree in Electrical Engineering Technology or related field with at least 5 years of applicable experience. A basic working knowledge of various types of test equipment such as Multi-meters, Oscilloscopes, Arbitrary Function Generators, as well as experience with basic hand and power tools. Experience with process control instrumentation and
control system components. Must be capable of interpreting and following basic schematic documents, test procedures,
manufacture data sheets and technical documents. Must be able to lift and carry up to 30 pounds. This position requires the candidate to work in or around radiation, cryogenic and electrically controlled areas. The position involves climbing ladders and working in areas where fall protection is required. It involves working in areas where breathing protection is required. Therefore, the candidate must be able to acquire and maintain the appropriate training and qualifications required to work in these areas. The candidate must possess good written and verbal communication skills and be capable of completing assigned tasks independently as well as working with other team members. Experienced with Windows Operating System, Microsoft Office Tools, AutoCad and MS Visio.
A working knowledge of Linux Operating Systems, PLCs, and basic soldering skills. Experience at a neutron user facility, synchrotron light source or other large-scale experimental physics project or scientific user facility is highly preferred. Experience with instrumentation for high radiation environments. Experience with instrumentation and controls for cryogenic systems.
Work Directions and Interfaces
Position reports to the SNS Process Controls Team Leader in Data Operations.
Measures of Effectiveness
* Responsiveness to support needs of accelerator, target, and facility operations.
* Functionality, reliability, maintainability and usability of developed and modified systems.
* Responsiveness to special assignments in support of changing scientific needs, project management directives, project changes, and project reviews.
* Quality of system-related documentation.
* Works effectively in a diverse team environment.
* Takes initiative and performs work independently.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov.<mailto:ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov>
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron