[Neutron] ORNL: Sample Environment Technician
Levesque, Cerissa J.
levesquecj at ornl.gov
Mon Jun 9 15:18:41 CEST 2014
Job Posting Title
Sample Environment Technician-NB50433581
End Posting Date
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 24 instruments for neutron scattering research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical sciences for more than 3,000 visiting scientists. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.<http://neutrons.ornl.gov/>
Technicians having a broad skill-set which encompasses but is not limited to mechanical ability, operation of electronic equipment, strong troubleshooting ability, and basic computer literacy are needed in the Sample Environment group to assemble, install, troubleshoot, test, maintain, repair, and operate specialized laboratory equipment used to conduct scientific experiments at Oak Ridge National Lab Spallation Neutron Source Facility or HIFR Facility. Such equipment includes cryogenic apparatus, vacuum systems, furnaces, magnet systems, various experimental platforms or cells, and other unique sample environments as required. Special consideration will be given to candidates with previous experience in sample environment systems & user support. The successful candidate will possess excellent verbal and written communication
skills and be comfortable interacting with a wide variety of coworkers, scientific staff and external scientific experimental
- Assembles, installs, troubleshoots, tests, maintains, repairs, and operates specialized laboratory equipment, including cryogenic apparatus, vacuum systems, furnaces, magnet systems, various experimental platforms or cells, gas delivery systems, high pressure systems and other unique sample environments as required.
- Assists in the development of new designs, operating programs of equipment, test procedures, and work plans.
- Maintaining inventory of appropriate tools, gas cylinders, liquid cryogenic dewars, bulk hardware and spare parts.
- Provides and assists in the documentation of Sample Environment Equipment including drawings, specifications, user manuals, operating procedures, wiring diagrams, process and instrumentation diagrams, schematics to ensure system integrity and configuration control.
- Ensure a safe, clean and efficient work environment that is in compliance with ESH&Q procedures and programs; Ensure lab space and work space meets and exceeds ORNL Safety Requirements (ES&H).
- Promotes compliance with environmental, safety, health, and quality program requirements throughout the laboratory and industry.
- Provides a wide range of support to Users to facilitate their work, as necessary, with limited supervision.
- Performs equipment lifts using facility cranes.
- Documentation of work performed.
- Conducts facility walkthroughs while observing equipment operation, work practices, and work environments to help
identify issues, problems, or improvements.
- Reports potential non-compliances and takes positive actions to promote adherence to requirements.
- Maintain a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of professional values and ethics.
- Understands and leads others in proper response to emergency alarms and may serve on the emergency squad.
- Responds to User problems and issues, including being available when designated as on-call during off-hours and weekends.
Associates degree in Engineering or Science with a minimum of five years of experience working with laboratory equipment. Training and/or specific, relevant work experience may also be considered instead of an Associate's degree. Must be able to perform hands-on work to troubleshoot, diagnose, and debug technical equipment and systems. Must be capable of responding to emergencies in a timely manner and utilize sound judgment in their reconciliation. Good interpersonal skills and a professional demeanor are essential. Candidates must be able to perform tasks which are moderately physically demanding, such as frequently climbing stairs, walking throughout a large facility, and occasionally lifting items weighing up
to 30 pounds.
Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Science with seven or more years of experience working with laboratory equipment. Experience with one or more sample environment types is preferred (e.g., cryogenic, vacuum, magnetic, high pressure, gas systems). Some experience in or around radiological areas is preferred. Ideal applicant should be highly motivated,
self-starter with the ability to work independently and interface in a team environment.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov.<mailto:ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov>
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron