[Neutron] ORNL: Scientific Information Systems Software Engineer-NB50452409
Levesque, Cerissa J.
levesquecj at ornl.gov
Thu Oct 2 20:07:29 CEST 2014
Job Posting Title
Scientific Information Systems Software Engineer-NB50452409
End Posting Date
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical sciences for more than 3,000 visiting scientists. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.<http://neutrons.ornl.gov/>
The Scientific Information System Team develops software solutions for SNS/HFIR internal and external users. This position will contribute, in a team environment, to the development and maintenance of custom web and mobile based software applications across the scientific data life cycle, i.e. from proposal to publication. These systems support the NScD user program, neutron source operations, experiment planning, scientific data catalog and management, sample tracking, and ORNL neutron publications.
- Interface with business unit to develop User Interface prototypes, mobile and web applications using relational databases and other data sources.
- Develop software through the full lifecycle including: requirements, design, layout and styling of controls and reports, interfacing to back-end technologies, product testing, training, documentation and maintenance.
- Provide a high-level of customer satisfaction and ensure application requirements are met.
- Provide customer support and develop new features in the area of data cataloging, data download, and guest portal.
- Support and maintain existing software applications including troubleshooting and bug fixes.
- Employ sound software engineering methodologies by maintaining code in a central repository, utilizing a version control system and developing and utilizing software quality testing procedures.
- Ensure compliance with environmental, safety, health and quality program requirements.
- Maintain a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Able to work in a team environment and self-motivated.
- Experience with iOS, Linux, Objective-C, APEX, Oracle, SQL, Subversion or Git is desired.
Work Directions and Interfaces
- Report to Scientific Information System Team Leader in the Office of Scientific and Program Services.
- Works closely with members of the NScD User Office, Controls Group, Instrument Data Acquisition and Controls Group, Instrument Scientists and Scientific Associates, Sample Environment Group, Scientific Data Analysis Group, and SNS/HFIR operations group.
- Collaborates with data management experts at other scientific research user facilities.
- Possess strong commitment to team environment dynamics with the ability to contribute expertise and follow leadership directives at appropriate times as well as work independently.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov.<mailto:ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov>
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron