[Neutron] Electrical Engineer ­ Automation

Kristina Bacos Kristina.Bacos at esss.se
Mon Nov 10 09:04:00 CET 2014

The Science Directorate at the European Spallation Source (ESS) in Lund, Sweden, invites applications for two Electrical Engineer – Automation positions.

Description of directorate/division/group

The Motion Control & Automation Group (MCAG) is part of the Instruments Technologies Division and dedicated to provide and support key components and automation technologies required for the construction and operation of the facilities scientific instruments. The group will compose engineers and technicians of different areas of expertise, responsible for evaluation, commissioning, operation and maintenance of electrical, vacuum and motion/automation control systems on all instruments. Group members will operate within the stimulating environment of the scientific research, working closely with instrument engineers and scientists to define specifications and solutions required for the construction of the facilities world-leading suite of neutron scattering instruments.

Description of main responsibilities

The successful candidates will participate in the evaluation processes of automation control units for the ESS Neutron Scattering Instrumentation and in the construction of the Instruments:

  *   Support the engineers of the MCAG in testing the different control units and components, in building and commissioning of the prototypes and preparation of the appropriated documentation
  *   Support the engineers in the different phases of the Neutron Instruments construction.
  *   After a training period the candidate will be given the chance to take over the responsibility for Motion Control & Automation within a Neutron Instruments Project of our in-kind partners becoming the key contact person for that technology for the instruments project team. This includes placements at our partners in Europe (UK and Switzerland) for periods between one or two months.

Qualifications

This is a great opportunity for you as an engineer to start your career. We are looking for you who are driven, enjoy a challenging work and wants to take an active part in the daily work of ESS development. Further we are looking for the following qualifications:

  *   Engineers degree (BSc) in Electrical Engineering or Electronics with a strong focus on Control Systems, Automation, Test & Measure etc.
  *   Experience in development and programming of automation systems during university studies either by practical work or assignments (bachelor thesis, industrial placement etc.)
  *   First working experience preferably in a scientific or university environment is a plus.
  *   Experience of working or studying in an international environment is essential
  *   Excellent oral and written English skills are a prerequisite; knowledge of other European languages would be an advantage

We truly believe that to enjoy and perform in this position, you consider these following competencies as a significant part of your character:

  *   Curiosity and fast perception - you are enthusiastic about everything new and learn fast how to use new tools, software and techniques and combine them successfully with your theoretical background from university.
  *   Communication skills – collect relevant information from the instrument scientists and other group members and compile and structure them in reports or other documentations.
  *   Flexibility - you adapt yourself to the constantly changing scientific working environment and you are willing to relocate within Europe for short periodes of time.

We also find it essential that you have the ability to work both independently and as part of a group.

The positions are time limited positions for 24 months. Your work place will be situated in Lund, Sweden but with temporary placements abroad for periods between one or two months.

What ESS can offer

At ESS we offer people with talent and passion a unique opportunity to be involved in the development and building of a world leading facility for materials research. Besides attractive employment and relocation conditions, the flexibility to balance work life with private life and good opportunities to further enhance your skills; you will also enjoy being part of an organizational culture that promotes and supports internal career growth. We pride ourselves in having successful collaboration across different functions, and as the facility continues to grow we will keep nurturing the international and vibrant environment welcoming people from all across the world.

Application & Contact

You will find the application on our webpage, http://europeanspallationsource.se<http://europeanspallationsource.se/> Please provide your curriculum vitae and covering letter in English.  Please note we only accept applications via the ESS website.

The deadline for applications is the 7th of December 2014. For further information regarding the position please contact Group Leader Motion Control & Automation Thomas Gahl, at thomas.gahl[at]esss.se and for further information regarding the recruitment process, please contact HR Officer, Kristina Bacos, kristina.bacos[at]esss.se.

We look forward receiving your application!

______________________________________

Kristina Bacos
HR Officer/Recruitment Partner

European Spallation Source ESS AB
P.O Box 176, SE-221 00 Lund, Sweden
Visiting address: Tunavägen 24

Mobile: +46 72 179 22 76
Phone: +46 46 888 32 76
E-mail: kristina.bacos at esss.se<mailto:kristina.bacos at esss.se>

[cid:7DA3D07F-8102-4C34-9C2E-1CE743A68C2F]

[unknown.png]<http://www.linkedin.com/company/326252?trk=tyah&trkInfo=tarId%3A1365532036406>

www.esss.se<http://www.esss.se/>

The European Spallation Source is a Partnership of 17 European Nations committed to the goal of collectively building and operating the world's leading facility for research using neutrons by the second quarter of the 21st Century