[Neutron] ORNL: Postdoctoral Research Associate in Neutronics-NB50462867
Levesque, Cerissa J.
levesquecj at ornl.gov
Wed Dec 10 15:13:40 CET 2014
Job Posting Title
Postdoctoral Research Associate in Neutronics-NB50462867
End Posting Date
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical sciences. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.<http://neutrons.ornl.gov/>
The postdoctoral associate will work the neutronics team to develop and implement an instrumented liquid hydrogen moderator vessel intended to demonstrate the neutronics performance and kinetics of ortho- and para-hydrogen subjected to radiolysis.
- The selected applicant will implement non-neutron-based techniques for assessing the ortho-para distribution in a liquid hydrogen system under neutron irradiation.
- The selected applicant will play a major role in the specification and implementation of a volume-moderator demonstration setup at a moderator test facility.
- The selected applicant will participate in the design and construction of a prototypic moderator demonstration facility.
- Displays ES&H understanding and discipline that leads to outstanding safety performance. Maintains the highest ethical and professional standards of performance and operates in accordance with these standards. Embodies ORNL values to be the best in everything we do, guided by shared values that exemplify concern for people and working together to meet challenging goals.
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health and quality program requirements.
- Maintain strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics.
- Physical requirements for this job include the use of hand and eye protection gear, kneeling, sitting for extended periods of time, working with low temperature sample environment equipment, and possible exposure to ionization radiation normally associated with operation of neutron scattering instruments for scientific research.
Recent PhD in Physics or Nuclear Engineering with degree focus on cryogenic systems, fundamental physics with neutrons,
or neutron physics.
Employment is contingent upon the results of a pre-employment physical exam and drug screen which must be administered
and cleared before employment can begin.
Applicants cannot have received the most recent degree more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. Certain exceptions may be considered. This position is a temporary, full-time assignment for 12 months, renewable up to 2 times upon performance assessment of candidate.
* Experience with safety and operations of liquid hydrogen systems
* Familiarity with slow neutron optics and detector systems
* Programming experience with C, Fortran, Perl and/or Python
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov.<mailto:ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov>
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron