[Neutron] Paul Scherrer Institute - Open position in neutron scattering: Lead project scientist

Useroffice (PSI) useroffice at psi.ch
Tue Feb 10 08:36:50 CET 2015

The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research centre for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy.  PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether PSI employs 1900 people.

As part of the Swiss contribution to the European Spallation Source ESS in Lund, Sweden, PSI will build the neutron reflectometer Estia.
Estia is a time-of-flight reflectometer, optimised for small samples. It is based on the innovative Selene neutron guide concept,
which allows new operation modes and ways of controlling the neutron beam (http://www.psi.ch/lns/estia).

The Laboratory for Neutron Scattering and Imaging (LNS) is looking for a

Lead Project Scientist for the time-of-flight reflectometer Estia at the ESS

Your tasks

  *   Build the reflectometer Estia at the European Spallation Source (ESS) in Lund as the lead project scientist; you will be head of a small team of scientists and engineers
  *   Take a leading role in the coordination of work between PSI and ESS, requiring a significant amount of travel between the two sites
  *   In the first year you will finalise the design and pre-construction work for Estia together with the local team and ESS staff and be involved in the operation and user support on the neutron reflectometer Amor at PSI
  *   Later you will work entirely on detailed construction, procurement and installation
  *   Own research using neutron reflectometry

Your profile

  *   Studies and PhD degree in physics or chemistry
  *   Experience in scattering techniques, preferably reflectometry
  *   Experience in building and maintaining experimental infrastructure
  *   Good communication skills and fluent in English

We offer
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.

The employment is initially limited to 3 years.

For further information please contact Dr Jochen Stahn, phone +41-56-310-2518, email: jochen.stahn at psi.ch<mailto:jochen.stahn at psi.ch>

Please submit your application online (including addresses of referees) for the position as a Lead Project Scientist (index no. 3303-00):
http://www.psi.ch/pa/offenestellen/0987

Paul Scherrer Institute, Human Resources Management, Sabine Mier, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland