[Neutron] JOB: Neutronics Group Leader, Harwell

Hayley Page (UK SBS) Hayley.Page at uksbs.co.uk
Fri May 22 15:53:51 CEST 2015

Neutronics Group Leader
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell, Oxfordshire
Salary £44,670 to £54,649 (dependent upon qualifications and experience)

About Us
At the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) you belong to a community of experts who are driving science and technology forward. Our incredible diversity of research, technology and engineering projects truly fire the imagination and lead to real-world solutions which shape societies and transform lives. We give you the flexibility, the freedom and the world-class facilities to focus on what you do best, and play your part in breakthroughs and achievements that will give you lifelong pride.

STFC's ISIS facility is a leading centre for research in the physical and life sciences. The facility performs cutting edge research into the structure and properties of materials at an atomic and molecular level. It is the most productive research centre of its type in the world.

About The Role
We now have a new position for a Neutronics Group Leader to work within STFC's ISIS facility as a result of the growth and development of our neutronics activity.

The Neutronics Group Leader will be responsible for managing a small team of neutronics scientists and leading the neutronics activity at ISIS, including developing work in this area for target, moderator, reflector, shielding and instrument developments.

Further responsibilities will include:
.	Continuing to develop the international profile of ISIS neutronics.
.	Ensuring that the neutronics simulations are carried out in a well-documented, well-established manner.
.	Liaising with a wide variety of internal groups regarding neutronics simulations, including engineers, instrument scientists and health physics.
.	Collaborating with similar groups at other neutron sources, particularly with regard to the development of the European Spallation Source.
.	Enabling the work of the group to be presented at relevant international conferences and in journal articles.

The design of new neutron capabilities within ISIS is underpinned by detailed computer calculations and simulations to predict the behaviour of neutrons as they are created, moderated, transported, manipulated, scattered and detected. Such new capabilities include modifications to the ISIS Target Station target and moderator assembly, designs for new neutron instruments or upgrades to existing instruments. The calculations are also key to developments in beam transport elements such as guides and choppers, shielding, instrument detector configurations and final instrument performance.

The ISIS neutronics team use the MCNPX neutronics code along with in-house developed software.

This role will require occasional international travel.

About You
Suitable candidates will hold a PhD in the physical sciences, preferably in an area related to nuclear physics, particle transport or activation.

You will need strong line management and leadership experience, along with significant experience in radiation transport computer modelling and simulation, including activation analysis.

Further knowledge and experience in the following areas is also required:
.	Familiarity with the operation and development of simulation codes for particle transport including knowledge of Monte-Carlo techniques, knowledge of nuclear cross-sections, knowledge of transport codes (GEANT4, MCNPX, FLUKA, etc.).
.	A track record in the performance of particle simulations for the development of instrumentation or facilities, or for the prediction of radiation activity. Direct experience of simulation relevant to neutron facilities would be an advantage.
.	Experience of project management.

Candidates are required to demonstrate good organisational and problem-solving skills, along with excellent written and verbal communication skills.

Benefits
An excellent index linked pension scheme, 30 days leave allowance and flexi-time are offered. Full details of offered benefits can be found on STFC's careers pages. A relocation allowance may also be available where applicable.

Applicants are required to include a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role. Please also state where you saw this role advertised.

Applications are handled by UK SBS; to apply please visit our job board at http://www.topcareer.jobs/Vacancy/irc182513_5403.aspx   Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on 01793 867000.

The closing date for applications is 21 June 2015; however, we encourage early applications as some candidates may be interviewed before this date.

UK Shared Business Services Ltd. Registered in England and Wales as a limited company.  Company number 6330639.  Registered Office: North Star House, North Star Avenue, Swindon, Wiltshire SN2 1FF.

UK Shared Business Services Ltd (UK SBS) is the new name for RCUK Shared Services Centre Ltd. While we migrate all our materials to the new name and new identity please bear with us.

This email and any attachments are intended for the named addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify UK SBS immediately and do not disclose, distribute, or retain this email or any part of it. While UK SBS has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise risk of this e-mail or any attachments containing viruses, the recipient should carry out its own virus checks before opening the attachments. The Company does not accept any liability for any losses or damages which the recipient may sustain due to presence of any viruses. Any opinions expressed in this email (including attachments) are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the company's opinions. We will not accept responsibility for any commitments made by our employees outside the scope of our business. The Company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks for the purposes of preventing and detecting crime.