[Neutron] PSI open position for a "Scientist for the Neutron Diffraction Group" at the Laboratory for Neutron Scattering and Imaging LNS/PSI

Useroffice (PSI) useroffice at psi.ch
Mon Nov 30 08:16:23 CET 2015

The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research centre for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether PSI employs 1900 people.

The Laboratory for Neutron Scattering and Imaging (LNS) operates the neutron scattering and imaging instruments at the Swiss Spallation Neutron Source (SINQ). LNS scientific staff conducts a strong in-house research program with special emphases on quantum matter, strongly correlated electron systems, magnetism, superconductivity, materials science, soft condensed matter, energy research and health care.

We are looking for a:

Scientist for the Neutron Diffraction Group

Your tasks:
The Neutron Diffraction Group is responsible for the neutron powder diffractometers HRPT and DMC, the single-crystal diffractometers TriCS/ZEBRA and ORION as well as for the material science diffractometer POLDI at SINQ. Within this group, your tasks are the user support on the diffractometer TriCS/ZEBRA (50% of time) and your own research program in condensed matter physics or chemistry with focus on single crystals.

Your profile:

  *   - PhD in condensed matter physics, chemistry or related fields
  *   - Expertise in single crystal diffraction, instrumentation and data analysis
  *   - Excellent track record in science, technical and computational skills
- Team work and communication competence

We offer:
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. The employment will be permanent after tenure-track evaluation. To optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure. This is a Tenure Track position.

The employment contract will be initially limited to three years.

For further information please contact Dr Oksana Zaharko, phone +41 56 310 46 33 or Prof. Dr Christian Rüegg, phone +41 56 310 47 78.

Please submit your application online (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as Scientist (index no. 3301-01) here: https://www.psi.ch/pa/stellenangebote#!/1182

Paul Scherrer Institute, Human Resources Management, Sabine Mier, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland

http://www.psi.ch