[Neutron] Erice School of Neutron Science and Instrumentation 1st-9th April 2016

Ken Andersen ken.andersen at esss.se
Mon Jan 11 14:41:55 CET 2016

ETTORE MAJORANA FOUNDATION AND CENTRE FOR SCIENTIFIC CULTURE<http://www.ccsem.infn.it/>
ERICE School “Neutron Science and Instrumentation” 2nd Course
XIV School of Neutron Scattering  (SoNS) “Francesco Paolo Ricci”

“Designing and Building a Neutron Instrument”

1st  April – 9th  April 2016, Erice (Italy)
Application deadline: 1  March 2016

Application is now open for “Designing and Building a Neutron Instrument” – the 2nd Course within the Erice School “Neutron Science and Instrumentation” (Directors: Ian S Anderson, Carla Andreani and Roberto Caciuffo) and the XIV School of Neutron Scattering  (SoNS) “Francesco Paolo Ricci”. The course will be held at the ETTORE MAJORANA FOUNDATION AND CENTRE FOR SCIENTIFIC CULTURE<http://www.ccsem.infn.it/>, Erice (Sicily, IT) between the 1st April and the 9th April 2016.
The School is normally highly oversubscribed, so we encourage applicants to apply early, as late applications will not be accepted.  The 2016 Course focuses on the design and construction of neutron instruments for large-scale facilities. In addition to lectures on theory, sources, and neutron instrumentation, students will be tutored by world leading experts in the various neutron scattering techniques. Students will be organized into groups which will design and “build” a neutron instrument during the week. The course thus includes instrument design, as well as instrument project management activities, at the end of which each student will have an overview of the process of designing and building a neutron instrument. Students are selected for the course based on their need to utilize neutron instrument design and construction project techniques as part of their present and/or future research activities.

The school is aimed at young instrument and development scientists, engineers, and designers at international and national neutron facilities, although graduate students or postdocs at universities with an interest in neutron instrument projects would also be welcomed.

Accommodation of participants is organized by the Ettore Majorana Foundation<http://www.ccsem.infn.it> (EMFCSC) either in their premises or in local hotels on the basis of the indications provided by the Organizing Committee and by participants in the Travel Form. Special requests should be addressed to the School Scientific Secretary, school_fpricci at its.me.cnr.it<mailto:school_fpricci at its.me.cnr.it>.

Registration
Students wish to apply need to fill out the online registration form<http://www.sonsfpricci.org/online-application-form-sons-2016>, send a ‘personal statement’ and a ‘statement from your supervisor’ to ken.andersen at esss.se<mailto:ken.andersen at esss.se> and herwigkw at ornl.gov<mailto:herwigkw at ornl.gov>, and copy to school_fpricci at its.me.cnr.i<mailto:school_fpricci at its.me.cnr.it>t<mailto:school_fpricci at its.me.cnr.it>. Registered students will receive feedback of the selection starting by beginning of March. Once accepted you will need to fill out the Student Registration Form<http://www.sonsfpricci.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/registration%20form_students_2016.pdf> and the Student travel form<http://www.sonsfpricci.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/travel%20form_students_2016.pdf> to be returned to ken.andersen at esss.se<mailto:ken.andersen at esss.se> and herwigkw at ornl.gov<mailto:herwigkw at ornl.gov>, and copy to school_fpricci at its.me.cnr.i<mailto:school_fpricci at its.me.cnr.it>t<mailto:school_fpricci at its.me.cnr.it> by the date specified in the form header. Fee payment details are reported in a specific section of the Student Registration_Form.<http://www.sonsfpricci.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/registration%20form_students_2016.pdf>

All student and Lecturer travel forms must be returned to ken.andersen at esss.se<mailto:ken.andersen at esss.se> and herwigkw at ornl.gov<mailto:herwigkw at ornl.gov> and copied to school_fpricci at its.me.cnr.it<mailto:school_fpricci at its.me.cnr.it>. Applications should arrive no later than April 1st, 2016.

The Registration Fee is €1000 per student. School fees include the cost of lodging during the school, breakfast, lunch, evening meal, teaching and all course materials.

Payment by bank transfer should be made to:
Account name: Fondazione Ettore Majorana e Centro di Cultura Scientifica
Bank Name: Unicredit Private Banking S.p.A.
BRANCH NAME:   07858 TRAPANI
STREET: Via Garibaldi 9 - 91100 Trapani, Italy
IBAN: IT 47 I 02008 16407 000600000655
BIC SWIFT: UNCRITMM

Web site for on-line registration and payment @ http://www.sonsfpricci.org/school-sons-2016<http://www.sonsfpricci.org/sons-school-2015>

Directors of 2nd Course: Ken Andersen (ESS) and Kenneth W Herwig (ORNL)

Students are encouraged to join the school page on Facebook

Ken Andersen, Neutron Instruments Division, European Spallation Source ERIC
ken.andersen at esss.se<mailto:ken.andersen at esss.se>, www.esss.se<http://www.esss.se/>, tel +46  (0) 721 792 057
http://europeanspallationsource.se/ken-andersen-0