[Neutron] ORNL: Postdoctoral Research Associate - Environmental Chemistry / NB50542749
McCormick, B. Logan
mccormickbl at ornl.gov
Thu Feb 4 18:11:07 CET 2016
Job Posting Title
Postdoctoral Research Associate - Environmental Chemistry / NB50542749
End Posting Date
The Biology & Soft Matter Division (BSMD) and the Environmental Sciences Division (ESD) at Oak Ridge National
Laboratory (ORNL) are seeking to fill a postdoctoral position in the area of neutron scattering applications in Environmental
Sciences as a part of a Laboratory Directed R&D-funded project. The project is aimed at understanding the interfacial
processes between minerals, organics, and microorganisms. The candidate will be involved in a multidisciplinary research
team investigating coupled geochemical, biological and environmental processes of element cycling and transformation in
sediment-water systems. The candidate should have the experience necessary to initiate a laboratory study, including refine
the research idea, setting up laboratory experiments, collecting experimental data, data analysis, and writing scientific report
and journal publications. The researcher will work closely with Dr. Liyuan Liang and other group members and will also
collaborate closely with other scientists at ORNL and collaborating institutions.
* Design and carry out laboratory experiments, acquire necessary data, and analyze the results with theory and
* Independently set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks to meet deadlines
* Publish scientific papers on collaborative and independent research
* Present scientific results at appropriate national and international conferences
* Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health and quality program requirements
* Maintain strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics
* The duties of this job will require the use of hand and eye protection gear, kneeling, standing for extended periods of time,
working in wet chemical laboratories, and possible exposure to ionization radiation normally associated with operation of
neutron scattering instruments for scientific research.
The nature of this scientific work is highly multidisciplinary, and projects will be carried out in close collaboration with
scientists from a variety of scientific backgrounds, including environmental /physical chemistry, geochemistry, microbiology,
biochemistry and other physical sciences.
PhD in environmental chemistry/engineering, physical chemistry, geochemistry, or a related field.
- All degree requirements must be complete before starting the Postdoctoral appointment
- Candidates must be within 2 years of receiving their Doctorate.
- A strong background in applied chemistry, experimental methods, and spectroscopy is required.
- Must be highly motivated and possess excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Must demonstrate a strong record of productive and creative research demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed
journals and presentations at scientific conferences
- Able to work on multiple tasks and to independently set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks to meet deadlines
- Capable of innovative research with minimal supervision and the ability to work collaboratively in a team environment and
interact effectively with a broad range of colleagues
- Experience with neutron scattering theory and experiment is desired.
- Experience with computational modeling is desired.
The appointment length will be up to 24 months, and is subject to performance and availability of funding. Please provide a
list of publications, a statement of research and 3 letters of references when applying for this position. All these required
documents can be uploaded to your profile or emailed directly to PSDrecruit at ornl.gov. Please include the title of the position
in the subject line.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be
deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov<mailto:ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov>.
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required
to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence
evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 4863 bytes
More information about the Neutron