[Neutron] ORNL: Mechanical Design Engineer / NB50549088
McCormick, B. Logan
mccormickbl at ornl.gov
Fri Feb 26 14:34:53 CET 2016
Job Posting Title
Mechanical Design Engineer / NB50549088
End Posting Date
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor
(HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's
most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering
research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical
sciences. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron
Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.
NScD is looking for a creative Mechanical Engineer to design multiple neutron beam guide systems from R&D through to
installation and final commissioning. These first-of-a-kind systems include precision alignment mechanisms, vibration
isolation mounting and state-of-the-art alignment features, each with unique design issues requiring innovative solutions.
The goal is to provide these components in support of instruments to be located at the proposed new SNS Second Target
Station (STS). This position will require the engineer to plan and supervise validation testing and deployment of components
and systems, provide technical and administrative support during facility construction, commissioning and start-up, and to
participate in planning and evaluation activities.
* Develop designs for precision alignment of neutron beam guides,
* Produce design and testing requirements documents,
* Lead R&D and prototyping of proposed designs,
* Develop guide assembly, alignment and installation processes,
* Produce concept to final detailed designs using Creo,
* Produce technical reports,
* Support testing, deployment, operation, troubleshooting and maintenance of equipment,
* Prepare presentations for and respond to recommendations from technical design reviews and advisory committees,
* Accurately and reliably communicate technical status and performance to ORNL management,
* Produce project schedules and cost estimates,
* Comply with ORNL environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements,
* Maintain a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of ORNL values and ethics.
BS in mechanical engineering or engineering science (MS preferred) and a minimum of 10 years in applicable mechanical
engineering design experience. Must have a proven expertise in mechanics, remote handling, heat transfer, and fabrication
of radiation tolerant materials. Must have the ability to analyze and understand complex technical problems. Must be able to
clearly communicate engineering problems and solutions. Must have the ability to function as part of a project team
consisting of scientific specialists, engineers and designers to meet project cost and schedule goals. This position requires
demonstrated ability to direct a design team of technicians and designers. Must have a proficient knowledge of CAD
Familiarity with Creo is desired.
Work Directions and Interfaces
Reports to the Instrument Methods and Technologies Group Leader. Provides work direction to CAD design staff and
operating technicians. Coordinates activities with STS project personnel at all levels and with other divisions in NScD and
with other STS working groups, particularly at the Target/Instrument interface.
Measures of Effectiveness
* Successfully develops high quality engineering designs from concept through manufacture and commissioning.
* Successfully develops material sources and processes appropriate for neutron instrumentation systems
* Successfully manages the deployment of testing and validation systems.
* Successfully interacts with project engineers and physicists to develop ideas into workable engineering solutions.
* Successfully records and reports technical findings to and project management and review committees.
* Demonstrates a high level of technical competence.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be
deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov<mailto:ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov>.
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required
to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence
evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron