[Neutron] ORNL: Target Systems Engineer - Design / NB50551795
McCormick, B. Logan
mccormickbl at ornl.gov
Mon Mar 7 20:40:49 CET 2016
Job Posting Title
Target Systems Engineer - Design / NB50551795
End Posting Date
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor
(HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's
most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering
research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical
sciences. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron
Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.
Perform engineering design on a wide variety of mechanical systems in support of the SNS neutron source systems,
including high power targets, moderator and inner reflector plug assemblies, and remote-handling support tooling. These
systems receive pulsed, high power, high energy proton beams and are first-of-a-kind systems and have unique design
issues, often requiring innovative solutions. Plan and supervise validation testing and deployment of SNS components and
systems. Provide technical and administrative support during system commissioning and operation. Participate in planning
and evaluation activities.
* Provide concept design for target systems of a high power pulsed 1 GeV proton accelerator, and its auxiliary systems
* Support testing, deployment, operation, troubleshooting and maintenance of the target apparatuses and systems.
* Proactively identify and ensure timely resolution of operational issues.
* Develop concepts to final detailed designs using Creo.
* Produce accurate and concise technical reports.
* Prepare presentations for and respond to recommendations from technical design reviews and advisory committees.
* Participate in R&D and prototyping of proposed experimental equipment.
* Accurately and reliably communicate technical status and performance to ORNL management.
* Produce design and testing requirement documents.
* Comply with ORNL environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements.
* Maintain a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of ORNL values and ethics.
BS in mechanical engineering or engineering science (MS preferred) and a minimum of 12 years in applicable mechanical
engineering design experience. Must have a sound understanding of mechanics, fluids, heat transfer, and materials and
have the ability to quickly grasp complex technical problems. Must be able to technically analyze and communicate
engineering problems. Excellent communication skills, ability to work independently and lead from knowledge and
experience. Must have the ability to function as part of a design team consisting of scientific specialists, engineers and
designers to meet project cost and schedule goals. A proficient knowledge of CAD modeling is required.
Familiarity with the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code and cryogenic systems is a plus. Familiarity with Creo and
ANSYS is a plus.
Work Directions and Interfaces
Position reports to the Source Development and Engineering Group Leader. Provides work direction to CAD design staff and
operating technicians. Coordinates activities with personnel at all levels within ISD and other divisions in SNS.
Authority/Approval Levels: Provides work direction to CAD design staff and operating technicians. Issues and approves
design packages and resolves technical fabrication issues with vendors.
Measures of Effectiveness
* Successfully develops high quality engineering designs from concept through manufacture, commissioning, and
* Successfully manages the deployment of experimental components and systems.
* Successfully interacts with engineers and physicists throughout the facility to develop ideas into workable engineering
* Successfully records and reports technical findings to SDE and division management and review committees.
* Demonstrates technical competence.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be
deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov<mailto:ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov>.
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required
to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence
evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 4863 bytes
More information about the Neutron