[Neutron] ISIS Computing Group Leader Position
stephen.king at stfc.ac.uk
stephen.king at stfc.ac.uk
Fri Mar 18 12:51:31 CET 2016
ISIS Computing Group Leader – closing date for applications 1st April 2016
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest research organisations. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science and engineering.
Working at the forefront of scientific endeavour isn’t possible without a dedicated team of software engineers and computing specialists, enabling the scientists to capture, control, analyse and store their precious data. At STFC’s ISIS facility, a leading centre for research in the physical and life sciences, each problem requires a unique solution, taking advantage of the latest technologies to deliver the seemingly impossible
The ISIS Computing Group develops, provides and supports computing facilities and software for the ISIS scientific programme, covering experiment control, reduction and analysis, data management, and the network of computers that provide the infrastructure across ISIS.
Due to the impending retirement of the current post holder, we are now looking for a new Group Leader to take over this role.
You will have strong experience of software development and data management in a scientific environment, as well as project, team and service management.
The Group is responsible for ensuring that the data capture, reduction and analysis facilities; the instrument control software; and the supporting infrastructure meet the current and growing requirements of the in-house and visiting scientists. While many of the resources are local, ISIS also makes good use of external facilities and international collaborations.
Developments are on Windows, Linux and Mac, make use of modern agile techniques and tools and are written in a range of languages (C/C++, Java) making use of appropriate packages. Depending on the requirements of the application they may run on computers ranging from desktops to large grids of computers.
• Lead the ISIS Computing Group, managing the team
• Regularly consult with the scientific groups
• Provide a vision and strategy for the scientific computing facilities required.
• Ensure current and future requirements are matched or exceeded.
• Participate in international software collaborations
• Provide expertise and direction in software development in a multiplatform environment
• Contribute to software development as appropriate.
• Ensure software/hardware systems are fully operational for the scientific programme
• Manage the interaction with computing facilities used by ISIS.
• Ensure staff are trained in appropriate technologies and packages
You will work with Software Developers, Scientists and Managers, as well as visiting scientists. It is expected that you will be involved in relevant scientific software collaborations.
For more information and to apply, click http://www.topcareer.jobs/Vacancy/irc220217_6265.aspx
For an informal chat about this role please contact Debbie Greenfield on +44 (0)1235 446712 or Debbie.Greenfield at stfc.ac.uk<mailto:Debbie.Greenfield at stfc.ac.uk>
More information about the Neutron