[Neutron] ORNL: Controls Engineer - Process Controls / NB50555155
McCormick, B. Logan
mccormickbl at ornl.gov
Thu Mar 24 20:15:25 CET 2016
Job Posting Title
Controls Engineer - Process Controls / NB50555155
End Posting Date
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor
(HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's
most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering
research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical
sciences. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron
Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.
* Specify, document, design, support, test, and maintain I&C systems for control and monitoring of the SNS accelerator,
target and cryogenic systems.
* Specify, document, design, support, test, and maintain process instrumentation (pressure, temperature, flow, conductivity,
valves, gas analyzers, variable frequency drives, etc.) and control system hardware.
* Develop and modify schematics for control subsystems and take an active role in working with research staff to perform
subsystem design, fabrication, and testing.
* Evaluate designs for reliability, availability, maintainability and safety.
* Serve as the primary process controls engineer for SNS cryogenic systems and other systems as assigned.
* As a member of the process controls team, work with members of the controls group, accelerator operations, and other
machine support staff to meet increasing power and reliability goals and support operational excellence.
* Identify and maintain requirements for critical system spares. Prepare design and specification documents needed to
procure spare components and systems.
* Provide documentation, user training, bug fixes and new feature development for process control systems. Maintain
documentation in central repository. Develop and utilize quality testing procedures.
* Provide operational support for the SNS accelerator and control system. The position is typical office hours, but some
off-hours and weekend support is required to support the 24/7 operational needs of the SNS.
* As appropriate, publish papers or reports, and represent SNS at conferences and/or workshops.
* Some domestic and/or foreign travel may be required to support collaborations or attend conferences or workshops.
* Ensure a safe and efficient work environment and compliance with ESH&Q, NScD, SNS and Controls Group procedures
* Work to standardize control system components, assemblies and software
* Maintain a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of professional values and ethics.
* Protect information integrity and maintain appropriate confidentiality on control system computers.
Bachelor's degree in electrical, industrial or controls engineering and five to ten years of relevant experience, or a Masters
degree in electrical, industrial or controls engineering and four to eight years of relevant experience.
* Demonstrated experience with developing industrial control systems using Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) in a
research or industrial environment
* Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimum supervision from management.
* Good written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with teams of scientists,
engineers, and technicians.
* Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering and eight to fifteen years of relevant experience, or a Master's degree in
electrical engineering and seven to twelve years of relevant experience.
* Demonstrated experience with the design, specification and implementation of high reliability industrial control systems
such as those in the process, nuclear, aerospace industries.
* Experience developing and supporting controls for large cryogenic systems
* Implementation of high reliability systems such as those found in the process, nuclear, aerospace, or defense industries
* Neutron user facility, light source or other large-scale experimental physics project or user facility
* Designing and programming control systems using Rockwell Allen-Bradley safety programmable logic controllers and
* Experience specifying, selecting and implementing controls for specialized instrumentation including instrument to be used
in a radiation environment.
Work Directions and Interfaces
Position reports to Process Controls Team Leader. Works closely with members of the Controls, Accelerator, Target, and
Cryogenics staff and ESH&Q personnel. Collaborates with industrial controls experts at other facilities. Possess strong
commitment to productive team dynamics with the ability to contribute expertise and follow leadership directives at
appropriate times as well as work independently.
Measures of Effectiveness
* Responsiveness to support needs of accelerator, target, and instrument operations
* Functionality, reliability, maintainability and usability of developed and modified systems
* Responsiveness to special assignments in support of changing scientific needs, project management directives, project
changes, and project reviews
* Produces thorough system-related documentation
* Works effectively in a diverse team environment
* Takes initiative and performs work independently
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be
deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov<mailto:ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov>.
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required
to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence
evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 4863 bytes
More information about the Neutron