[Neutron] ORNL: Accelerator Physics Application Programmer / NB50562869
McCormick, B. Logan
mccormickbl at ornl.gov
Mon Apr 25 18:12:23 CEST 2016
Job Posting Title
Accelerator Physics Application Programmer / NB50562869
End Posting Date
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor
(HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's
most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering
research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical
sciences. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron
Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.
Develops, tests, and maintains the physics software applications needed to efficiently operate the accelerator. Leads the
Accelerator Physics Applications Team. Assists in upgrade activities. Develops and maintains the environment and tools
needed for the physics application software. Documents the software applications and the software application working
environment. Participates in physics development beam shifts to test software and perform beam physics studies. Interfaces
with the linac, ring, and diagnostic physics teams, as well as the Controls and Operations Groups.
* Develops and maintains physics application algorithms needed for operating the accelerator and increasing the power
levels consistent with the directorate plans.
* Leads the Accelerator Physics Applications Team.
* Develops and maintains the XAL software environment, including the physics models needed for application programs.
* Writes and maintains documentation on the physics application software.
* Participates in beam studies to help understand high intensity effects.
* Participates in scientific conferences, workshops, meetings and publishes results in the form of technical notes and memos,
workshop and conference proceedings, and scientific journals.
* Participates with other team members in developing goals, resource plans, and policies for the Team and the Group.
* Assists team leader in coordinating the work of students in the team.
* Ensures compliance with environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements including ISMS.
* Maintains a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics.
An MS degree or higher in science with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience is required to be considered. Extensive
experience with object-oriented programming and Java is required. Experience with distributed client-server programming
and a familiarity with databases are required. Experience with source code control is required (Git is preferred). A strong
background in linux/unix command line tools and shell scripting is required.
A PhD degree with 2 or more years of relevant experience is preferred. A background in experimental physics and
experience with control systems is desired. Experience with the EPICS control system and OpenXAL is desired.
Other Job Requirements:
This position is a Workplace Substance Abuse Program (WSAP) testing designated position which requires passing a
pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program in which employees are subject to
being randomly selected for testing and undergoing testing without advance notification. The occupant of this position will
also be subject to an ongoing requirement to report any drug related arrest or conviction or receipt of a positive drug test
result to the Company.
This position requires some physical activity, such as carrying lightweight items, climbing ladders, etc.
This position also requires Rad Worker II training.
Work Directions and Interfaces
Provides work direction to engineers, postdocs, and students within guidelines established by the Accelerator Physics, Beam
Instrumentation and Ion Source Group Leader.
May provide work direction/guidance to technicians and craft personnel.
Measures of Effectiveness
* Successfully performs assigned work towards success in achieving SNS accelerator systems operational support at the
required power levels.
* Successfully helps to create an environment in which individuals within the team can meet SNS/ORNL environmental,
safety, health and quality requirements; and successfully enforces of these requirements.
* Successfully reports and represents responsible activities to SNS management, review committees and professional
* Successfully provides the Accelerator Physics Team Leader of the APBIIS Group with help, guidance and information
towards establishing team policy and allocation of team resources.
* Successfully publishes research results of the team in journal publications, conference publications, laboratory reports, and
project technical notes and memos.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be
deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov<mailto:ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov>.
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required
to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence
evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 4863 bytes
More information about the Neutron