[Neutron] ORNL: Instrument Hall Coordinator / NB50576358
davidsonld at ornl.gov
Wed Jun 22 15:08:58 CEST 2016
Job Posting Title
Instrument Hall Coordinator / NB50576358
End Posting Date
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor
(HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's
most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering
research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical
sciences. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron
Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.
With limited supervision, the Instrument Hall Floor Coordinator provides a wide variety of support to Users/Experimenters. In
addition, the Instrument Hall Floor Coordinator assists with coordination of activities conducted in the SNS Target Facility and
HFIR Beam Room and Cold Guide Hall by several different support groups. This position requires 12 hour rotating shifts.
- Promote safe work practices throughout the SNS Instrument Hall and HFIR Beam Room and Cold Guide Hall - reinforces
safe work practices and safe work environments.
- Support compliance with environmental, safety, health, and quality program requirements including ISMS.
- Provide a wide range of support to Users/Experimenters as necessary to facilitate their work.
- Serve as a primary User contact/interface during off-hours and weekends.
- Assist with basic sample environment and instrument operations (as appropriate).
- Respond to User problems and issues including making appropriate contacts and call-ins.
- Perform equipment lifts using facility and instrument specific cranes, minor shop tasks and various trouble shooting
- Interact with the various organizations working in the Instrument Hall to ensure concurrent activities are coordinated with
regard to priorities, use of shared facility equipment, radiation protection, permitting, logistics, etc.
- Coordinate facility management for general Target Facility maintenance (e.g. building HVAC, water leaks, broken
windows, lighting, painting, etc.)
- Assist in development of operating programs/procedures as needed.
- Coordinate with Target Operations Staff for activities which may affect Target Systems.
- Coordinate with HFIR Operations Staff for activities which may affect HFIR Beam Room Hall and Cold Guide Hall Reactor
- Stays aware of ongoing and planned activities w/in the Target Building and the HFIR Beam Room and Cold Guide Hall that
affect science operations.
- Conduct facility walkthroughs; observes work practices and work environments to help identify issues, problems, or
improvements with regard to safety; stays abreast of area postings, flaggings and housekeeping.
- Report potential non-compliances and take positive actions to promote adherence to requirements.
- Assist in maintaining Configuration Control of SNS Instrument shielding.
- Prepare shift reports and track neutron instrument down time.
- Serve on the SNS emergency squad; understand and lead others in proper response to alarms.
- Assist with various duties as assigned by the team leader
- Notifies the Team Leader, SNS Instruments Operations Manager, and the HFIR Instruments Operations Manager, as
applicable, for issues that affect instrument operations.
Successful candidate must have an AS Degree in Engineering or science with 5 years or more experience in facilities or
project management environment and performing coordination and integration across organizational boundaries or
equivalent combination of education and experience. Excellent interpersonal skills and professional demeanor.
Demonstrated ability to perform hands-on work on technical equipment/systems. At least 2 years experience working in or
around radiological areas. Some experience in handling radioactive materials. Must be able to work rotating shifts and
respond to emergencies.
AS Degree in Engineering or science with 7 or more years of experience in facilities or project management environment and
performing coordination and integration across organizational boundaries. An equivalent combination of education and
experience may be considered. Experience in operational rigor associated with radiological, nuclear, or accelerator facilities,
working in radiological areas, Radiation Worker training preferred, and work planning including hazards
identification/mitigation, permits, LO/TO, etc. Demonstrated performance as team player. Demonstrated ability to
successfully work directly with Scientist. Working experience with PC's and office applications.
Work Directions and Interfaces
Reports directly to ISD Instrument Hall Coordinator Team Leader. Interfaces include wide variety of SNS and ORNL groups.
Interfaces include Users/Experimenters, Instrument Scientist, Instrument teams, Scientific Associates (SA's), engineers,
Instrument Installation personnel, target and accelerator operations personnel, Site Services, other technical support
technicians, ES&H personnel, etc.
Measures of Effectiveness
- User interactions and support effectiveness
- Continued adherence and promotion of strong safety values and culture
- Understanding and agreement within ISD and other organizations on operational protocol and roles and responsibilities on
the Instrument Floor.
- Effective performance in a team environment.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be
deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov<mailto:ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov>.
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required
to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence
evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron